Speckle Trout

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by ole whiskers, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

What is the best artificial bait for Specks. I usually use live bait, but is hard to get when you need them.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I always was a fan of Zara Spooks for Specks or bucktails tipped with minnow jigs.

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Th choice of plastics is alot like bass fishing. It depends water clarity-season-and method of fishing. Don't know Ala.waters ,but in SE La. fishing outer bays or very wide runouts in the summer you can rarely go wrong with H & H's cocahoe style plastics. They come - of course in every color you can imagine. But I believe in keeping it simple. Get some unpainted-leadhead SHORT SHANKED jig heads. Fishing under a cork either in single or tandem rigs is a good all around weight is 1/4oz. Get a package of 3/8" oz heads if you are fishing deeper or if there is more current. Choice of colors(based on SE LA) moon glow is good( clear a silver sparkle chartr tail---motor oil with red glitter-purple and chartrtail(LSU Bayou chub) Reaction lures-(may not be sold in Ala or banned by Nick Saban-LOL)Hybrids makes a "minnow Magic" which is excellent in clear water.

You don't need to buy the tackle shop out either. 10.00 -12.00 should more than take care of you. I would not recommend buing the speckulizer unless someone told you the shrimp are in- big disadvantage---cannot adjust the depth with the provided rattling cork and they are approx 7.00 ea.
    Get a couple of clip on rattling corks you can get at Walley word or Sports academy. If fishing under a cork(my preference)- throw the bait -wait about 3-seconds -then pop the cork. If something is there it will slam the bait on the way down. You can also catch reds-flounder-gafftop catfish-black drum using the same technique.
    Good luck to 'ya and hope you'll give us a report. I'd recommend checking local regs. Some places have slot sizes and restrictive length mins.

4. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

LSU Bayou chub???????? Now I don't care what Saban and his little club thinks about it .......But I know Tommy Tubberville would ban them form the state. LOL, War Eagle and thanks for the advise will use it.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    "Gulp" baits on a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jighead works very well. The 3 or 4 inch shrimp in new penny, molt or natural colors are used the most. Just find a creek mouth or shell bed and work the jig slowly around the edges. Flounder, reds, trout and Black drum all love "Gulp"...Take an extra zip lock baggie with you to keep from spilling the juice, it will smell up what ever it gets on...

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would like to see more post about salt water fishing here. some good info here in this thread.thanks

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Soft plastics and black/silver or gold/black rapalas

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey chuck, i may be the only other guy here who fishes for specks in alabama, so i will tell ya what has been working for me lately.

d.o.a.'s are an ol standby. gulp shrimp in 3" not 4". cocahoe minnows, salt water assassins, and the infamous mirror lure fished very slowly. believe it or not, i still catch specks with the $1.50 tandem speck rigs.

from what i have experienced you really only need about 4 basic colors. sometimes there are variations on those basic colors, but not by much.

1. white-anything white maybe with some black or red thrown in
    2. rootbeer-sometimes it gets fancy with gold flakes, but simple rootbeer works
    3. chartreuse (green)- this might come with red/yellow mixed in too. some folks like "nuclear chicken"
    4. black- self explanatory works really well with a little white to make it a "tuxedo" pattern.

right now anywhere that a light is on the water south of daphne will be holding specks at night. they are also around some of the inshore reefs, and in the creeks and rivers during the day. if you have access to deep water they will be around the rigs and prolly the middle bay lighthouse during the extra hot part of the day.

remember- i fyou see birds working, it just about doesnt matter what you have tied on your line. run them down and drift through them!!

hope this helps.

p.s. cought a nice 23" speck on a pearl white gulp 3" shrimp 2 weeks ago.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll agree with JD ,I have a nice collection of salt water supplies being I lived in So. Texas 50 years and i do like to fish the salt water every now and then. We cought some real big reds this past Oct. and Nov like the biggest one 39 1/2" and 42 lbs even

10. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Jerry 's right about the Gulps-they are good but expensive--I'll use those when live bait is not available(Shrimp- or croakers).

11. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

My son and I were fishing in St. Joe Bay off Cape San Blas in Florida last summer.He caught a small bream like fish on the last shrimp. Threw it in and in about 20 mins. he landed a 28" speck. It is on his wall at this time. That is one proud boy. Something like that hooks a kid for life. The taxidermist in Spanish Fort said he was the biggest he has worked with in quiet a while.

12. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

That is true on the gulp bait. It can put a dent in your wallet.

13. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Not having alot of "coastline" to play with as compared to Fla. La and Tex- where do you guys fish? I fiqured around Mobile bay and Dauphin island. The techniques would have to be different if you were beach fishing like at Orange beach or somewhere. You guys have artifical reefs close by ?

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    a 28" speck is a hoss sure enoug. he's got me beat. my best was by the grand hotel spring b4 last. it was a lowly 26". still a nice fish though. i think it was around 4-5 5#'s. not sure about the weight, but the fillets were awesome.

there is only 1 taxidermist in spanish fort that i know of, i only live about a mile and a half from there. you live around here too?

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    we do have some inshore reefs around the bays. i have fished with a couple of transplants from "lafeet" ? (sp?) they say its about the same really. just a little deeper water here.

we have a few inshore reefs, a couple of gas rigs in the lower bay, many many oyster beds, mud flats, channells, creek and river mouths etc. i guess it is different. but, im not sure how since i havent fished la. yet. and the only time i fished texas i was 8.
    course, during this heat i like to drift and wade the pier lights on the eastern shore.

16. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I think its Scotts Taxidermy. Just before you get to Malbis. Live in Saraland.

17. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I have fished under the boat lights from 9pm to daylight and fill the ice chest up with specks. Bayou La Batre where the shrimp boats are parked.

18. Gaspagoo

Gaspagoo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Im the one who caught the 29 inch spec.My picture, is the spec i caught ,needless to say hes on my wall now.

19. Gaspagoo

Gaspagoo New Member

State:
    Alabama
  20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not sure it's possible to pick one best bait for seatrout.

In the last couple of years I have caught most of mine on grub jigs: plain old 1/8 oz jig head with a variety of tails. I like the Bass Assasin sea shad tails and the Gotcha curly tails. You can get any color you can imagine. I'd start with whatever is popular locally, but my favorites are white with pink tail, electric chicken, space guppy, neon mercury, red and gold shad ... Just toss them out and real back slow, OR - my favorite - cast and let sink on a tight line, then lift gently off the bottom and let sink again (while reeling slack), repeat, repeat, ... With the shad tail types, you should be able to feel the tail vibrate on the lift. Hits will often come on the drop.

By the way, super-braid lines are great for this stuff - Fireline is my fav - a bit thicker than some, but by far the most manageable (light pound test braids have a nasty habit of forming wind knots) - 10 pound is fine for trout and will cast a grub for a mile!

I also, for years, caught a lot of trout on plugs - Rebels (joointed and onepiece), jointed Bomber long A's, Cordell Redfins - just pick a size and color that look good to you. The 4 to 6 inch models do well, depending on the size trout in the neighborhood.

A lot of folks also are beginning to get hooked (pun intended) on the rubber shrimps.