Species Identification - How do you tell your catfish apart?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm extremely confused. My brother caught what I thought was a blue cat, but someone said it was actually a channel. I've been catching these for ten years, and always thought they were blues. About a week ago I caught what I thought (not sure now) was my first channel cat in the same lake I always fish. It was real green with a bunch of pink in its fins, and the ones I've always thought were blues are real real dark bluish gray. I'll upload some pics, but if these dark ones are channels, why do they look so much different from the green one I caught? Wouldn't they be more alike if they're the same species in the same lake, same spot?

P.S. I feel like idiot now, cuz I thougth I knew a lil bit about catfishin, but apparently not. A lil help?

2. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Here are some pics. The first one is what I thought to be a channel. The next two I'm almost positive are blues. I know the big one is cuz channels rarely get that big.

Attached Files:

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    don't feel bad there lil'brother i took a test on another thread and couldn't tell the difference between a sauger and a saugeye...lol....

4. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    wut do u think the fish in the pics are tho, blues or channels?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Looking at the pics, tells me these are channels. I may be wrong but I don't think so. I have been known to be wrong Before, LOL!!!

6. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Channels have a rounded anal fin and blues have flat ones. That's the only thing you need to differentiate between blues and channels.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Looks like channel cats here, except for the last one, I'm confused. It is shaped like a channel, but the anal fin seems to be shaped more like a blue cat. Maybe a cross?
    Oh, and I'm thinking that other one in the first photo may be a tabby cat! :)
    check out this id chart: Catfish/bullhead ID

Nice catch, by the way.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm almost sure that all of those are Channel Cats except the last one. The last one looks like a Flathead....maybe.

Blue Cats have a hump right behind thier head. I really, really dont think that any of those are blue cats.....below I have attached a photo of a blue cat I caught....notice the big hump behind the head.

Attached Files:

9. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I'd say that the first two are channels because of the curved anal fin, the first one definetely is. The last one is either a channel or a blue, the anal fin looks straight from the picture, so it could be a blue. If it is a channel, that is definetely a trophy.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah if that last one is a channel then it is a trophy for sure! I really dont think it's a blue cat though.... :)

11. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

After carefully looking twice at each photo I'd say all three fish are Channels, 'course I could be wrong...
    I thought I was wrong once before then realized I was only mistaken. :cool:

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I agree that all of them look like channel cat's. I know the first two are indeed channel cat's. Nice Channel's though! If the last one is a channel than it is really a trophy.... :)

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    all three look like channels to me, though the 3rd one is questionable... maybe its undecided of its species preference...

"should i be blue? maybe channel is more my style though."

making it bi...

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the third one is a channel also if the indentification info i got out of my field guide is accurate. it has one other way to distiguish between the two. the adipose fin. i did not know what an adipose fin was til i read this. it is that little nub on the back of the cat between the dorsal and tail. it says in blue cats the posterior end is absent. i really didnt understand this til i got to examining pics of channels and blues and i understand now. on a channel the the adipose kinda resembles an earlobe. on a blue it is more or less a nub and from that last pic you can clearly see that fin and it has to be a channel. now i would not rule out this fish being a hybrid because it does somewhat resemble a blue. red, i think what confused you is the color of the fish. i read in infishermen several years ago that female channels are olive to brown in color and males are blue to gray. hope this helps

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
  16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say they are all channel cats...The last one has a forked tail so it cant be a flathead.

17. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    well hotdog it yall, i been catchin channel and callin 'em blues fer ten years! my buddies won't let me hear the end of this one! lol, thanks for all the info

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ha, Ha, Glad it's cleared up. Hope your buddy dont pick on ya too bad... :p :D

19. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    We normally dont have any trouble telling fish apart here. The blues are either usually blueish or white and the channels aren't. We went out fishing one night though and caught a 30# fish that we couldnt tell was a blue or a channel. We counted the anal rays as suggested and we kept coming up with a channel cat. If that was a channel cat it was the Texas state record. We released the fish so we will never know. :cursing: She pulled the boat about 100 yards from where we hooked her. I was amazed how hard she fought.

[​IMG]

Scott

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dang, that does really look like a channel cat. A huge channel cat too! :eek: