Spearfishing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by bigfatcat, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i went spearfishing today off of rudee inlet (in virginia beach VA) and headed 12 miles out to the chesapeake light tower and jumped in the water it took a while to figure out where the spadefish were hanging out but i found them and when ifound them i really found them i was swimming with hundreads of them not really big ones though but there were some nice ones in there. i shot some medium sized ones first then got a huge one there was 2 of us and the limit is 4 per person i got 4 and my neighbor got 4 we each got 1 big. i also say abot a 30 pound king mackeral i was gonna shoot it but could not geet a good shot a his head(i didnt want to get pulled under so i wanted to hit him in the head and the person i was with say 2 huge amberjack the fish in the picture is my biggest one

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

bigfatcat that was a good story and congrats on your fish. you are braver than I am. A couple of guys here talk about being scared of big foot well sharks are my big foot and I KNOW they exist so I stay out of the ocean. once agian thanks for the story and pic.

3. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    sharks are at the tower the staate record mako was caught there 740 lbs and my dad has seen a dorsal of a shark just swimming around the tower

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yeah thats why I stay out of the water. I tend to grow feathers and say cock-a-doodle-doo when it comes to swimming in the ocean.

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    From 1975-1979 I was stationed at Homestead AFB below Miami, Fl.

I spent a lot of time chasing fish and have been pulled a round several times. I was not letting go of my $250 speargun!!!

I once shot a 20# Amber Jack then realized the instant I pulled the trigger it was not a good idea! A 20# Amber Jack can pull a 18 foot boat!!

Luckily I hit him right in the brain and he just quivered and died.

Keep at it but be careful. Lots of fun!!!

Robert

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Nice fish bigfatcat. Dive fishing is a blast. We go a couple times a year at the rigs here in the gulf off of the texas coast. It was a smart thing not to shoot the king. If you were in the structure ya coulda got hurt pretty quickly..... It's better to be safe and live to fish another day than get hurt and watch it from your hospital bed....... Enjoyed the pic, keep em coming and stay safe.....

7. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    yeah there was alot of sturcture in the water like big metal pipes that hold up the tower and i would be all cut up also they are covered in barnicals

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Do you ever watch that show called Big blue hunter are something like that. It comes on Sunday mornings and its all about spearfishing.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    That sounds like you had a blast! Weird too, cause I just seen a few kids here (Pa.) Spear fishing under the town bridge and thought that might be alot of fun! I can't imagine being in the ocean with all those things that could eat you! (Giant Squid)!! LOL

10. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    never seen it what channel is it on i will look for it tmo