Spearfishing catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by toddrod, Jun 3, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I was just ready a local fishing forum and found a post of a guy who spearfishes for fresh water cats.

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That's very interesting. So this guy is probably to impatient to fish with a rod and reel, and too much of a pansy to noodle, and stick his hand into the holes, so he uses a spear. I guess he doesn't EVER practice catch and release.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I was at one of the lakes close to Hot Springs Ark.a few years ago and they were holding a spearfishing contest.I saw the weight in and I saw some good sized cats that had been killed by some guy swimming up to the cats and shooting them with a speargun and I can't say I liked what I was seeing.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The sad thing is these guys consider this to be a "sport". But, on the other hand, they have their right to fish in their way as we do in ours. I just hope the trophy cats are cleaned and used as food rather than a plastic trophy, blue ribbon, or cash prize. Hate to see something like that wasted.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I understand they have the option to do this but every one they shoot is one less I can catch and release.

6. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    They do it in Lake Maurepas here in Louisiana. I can not post a link but if you would like to see a picture just email me and I will pass it on to you.

7. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Louisiana, hmmm, maybe a gator will get them.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    before i start let me say i noodle catfish.that said i dont see much difference in pulling fish off their nest and taking them home to eat than sticking them with a sharp stick and taking them home to eat if done rite.if you only target fish that are between 5 and 15 or 20 lbs.i dont agree with killing the large fish for any reason.but thats just me.each person has to do as he or she feels rite doing.

9. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    I personally don't have a problem as long as they are bieng eaten. However if they are just bieng tossed on the bank these people should be subject to the same prosecution as someone who kills a deer , cuts off the head and leaves the rest.