Spear hunting

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 21, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    how do u make one

or where can i buy one :tounge_out:

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cold steel makes one that looks pretty mean. i think they have a website.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I made my frist spear 30 odd years ago by cutting the sweep off an old plow and welding a 3/8 rod it and put that into a heavy broomhandle.It made a good heavyduty spear.This guy was braging about how many deer he killed and I know better so I made the spear to mess with him,I told him I could kill more deer with a spear than he could with a rifle.(I never did hunt with one)I've had a lot of fun making and learning how to use spears and I have made a lot of them both heavy and light(darts) and spear throwers called "Alatl" which do work.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ur a goddest to me now. where did u learn all of this i want to make and learn how so much

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    LeRoy Sorry for taking so long with an answer but my computer been messing up every thing I tried to post.I learned a lot from my father even though he passed away when I was 15 and I've been a machinc all my life and reuilt my frist engine when I was 13,(1966) learned how to weld in 1968 and was a full time pro machinc in 1969.As for making spears it was easy by that time.I guess I'm good at that kind of thing because I've always been able to make anything I wanted to but there is no way I can teach you how to make a spear in a few post's because you need a welder,a cuting torch,drills,grinders and a lot of knowhow.From what I know about wild hogs killing one with a spear is not gona be like gun hunting at 100 yds or bow hunting at 10,20 or 30 yards but it's gona be at very close range like less than the length of the spear so a hog spear needs to be heavy duty with a heavy handle(6-8 ft) so you have a chance to keep the hog off of you and a long(a foot) blade to go deep enough for a quick kill.Back in the old days in England they hunted wild hogs from horse back with long heavy spears and men still got hurt and killed so read up on it and you will find out.Hog hunting with a spear is a good way to get bad hurt or even killed so I never did it when I was younger and sure wouldn't do it now.