spawning?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by rcbbracing, May 1, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went our for an hour or two today to catch some bluegills...I put 5 in my bait tank and the rest into our pond so the bass would have some food...well anyway while bluegill fishing i tried to catch a bass or two to put into our pond...the big bass would just hang out in their nests till bluegills got close and then they would run the gills off....is this normal? They werent really biting...i had one on till it broke my line...anyway just curious when they spawn and stuff....ive never been a big largemouth guy but just wanted to know....thanks!

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im pretty sure its 65-70 degrees. Bass acting like that sounds normal, you can usually throw anything at them at spawn and they wont hit, but there are a few things to try. Smaller bluegill usually work good and I have heard salamanders work great. Its your best time to catch the big female Hogs. I dont really bass fish to much anymore but I still catch them every once in a while.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear ya man...that lil pond should be up to 65 by now i would think...but yeah they didnt want anything to do with my bass minis lol....I had my drag set tight on my ultralight so i could pull the gills in really fast and forgot when i switched over to catch a bass:angry: so of course he broke my line....but thanks for the info man!

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    if you run an artificial in front of her face enough times she will get aggrivated enough that she will bite just to get rid of it.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If she's locked on the nest, i would tease her with a lizard or other creature bait. Piss er off, she'' bite. May carry it out of the nest before she actually eats it. Her gills will flare out before she nabbs it. Catch her, then put her back on the nest. Or feed bream, good eggs.

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think everyones hit it..Use a salamander during the spawn as they are natural enemies that eat the eggs spawning bass are protecting..Its pretty much the only thing a bass will bite during the spawn..Anything else and the bass will basically just swat it away with its tail..

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Awesome information...i wasnt aware of this...Guess ill have to find some salimanders....Im not into catching fish like this during their spawn but i just want em for our pond so im not eating them...so i guess its okay...lol

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If your lookin at transplanting them, i would target fish that aren't locked down on the nest. You should be able to back off the bank and find pre-spawn fish draggin a carolina rig with a centepeed, fish doctor or lizard. You can put them in a pond and she'll find a boy friend and spawn for ya. Catch her off her bed and she may not egg back up and spawn again till next year.

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    its kinda hard somtimes to get a stubborn bass to hit somthing when shes on her nest. shell go for days whithout eating. you almost have to piss her off to get her to hit somthing. I would throw a frog, lizard, hell put a bream up there, not very big just enough to be a threat to the nest, hook it through the nose. the try to provoke a strike, but be quick to set hooks cause sometimes she will go to her boundry and spit it out.