spawning question

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by DADJBW, Jul 9, 2008.

1. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey guys, I was just wanting to get some feedback. I went fishing the other night near lake Arlington and I caught a couple of nice 1-2 lb keepers for my next day lunch. When I filet them, they both still had a belly full of eggs. Shouldn't they have laid them by now? If not, is there a way to tell if I catch one that has eggs so i can be sure to put her back? Just trying to do my part to keep the population up. Thanks for the help

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Jason,
    I answered your question last night, but it was deleted for some odd reason.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    So what was the answer that got deleted.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    well there is really no way to be sure, you can make a guess based on how "fat" they are. I would have expected them to be done by now also.

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    The spawn is about a month behind this year. I could be from all of the rain last year or the cooler weather we had this spring or a combination of both. We've still been catching some fish with eggs on Lewisville. When the fish are stuffed full of chum or other grub, it's hard to tell if it's food or eggs. The male should be pretty obvious right now. They are a little on the thin side and their heads are pretty swollen from the spawn. Hope this helps a bit.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The flathead are just now going on thier beds here now. the blues and chanell cats are finally done. I've never seen a spawn so drug out as it was this year. peculiar weather everywhere it seems this year. it wont stop raining for more than 3 or 4 days here. at least 1 downpour a week. I'm about to build an ark!