Spawning flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hookman, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    when & were do they spawn....hookman....

2. riftlaker

riftlaker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not sure but i do know i caught a female yesterday that was definatly eggbound, and the eggs looked to be nearly fully developed.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    They generally spawn when the water temp gets to be around the lower to upper 70's. Then they'll go where they'll usually stay for the rest of the year. Big nasty thick log jams or holes in the bank like an old flooded den, undercut bank, or some kind of underwater cave. Just my two cents.

-Red

4. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    hey redd were do they spawn....hookman....

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    hey Guys ! Im From Southeastern Michigan. All The Big Females Are Full Of Eggs Right Now. Im Sure They Are Ready To Spawn Because Im Not Seeing Them In There Usual Spots. Im Finding Them Down River In The Holes Right Off The Current. The More Snags The More Fish So Ide Say They Like Big Ol Logs And Heavy Structure Right Now!

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey Red, with that being the case, is it pretty safe to say that the spawn period would vary according to region? Here, the weather has been in the low 100's consistantly which means that the water temp has been warm as well.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sorry hookman, I meant to say that they'd spawn in the same locations they stay for the rest of the year, as long as its not too deep(my previous post lists 'em pretty good). And, I wouldn't fish any shallower than three feet and no deeper than ten in the spawn in the river and cricks I fish. But, if you fish an extremely deep lake, then a shallow spot for you might be 15 ft. Just stay shallow in that heavy structure. A good rule that I follow is if it blocks out sunlight and gives them something to hide in and their eggs, I'll fish it. Other guys might tell you a little different, but that's just the rules I'll follow. And yes flatheadhunter, the spawn does start according to region. more'n likely its already started where you fish. But, I always run into a few slackers that carry thier eggs well into the summer. Why, I don't really know. But I hoped this helped you guys out. Tight lines to all.

-Red

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Based on experience in the midwest Illinois, Mississippi, Spoon Rivers, the first week in July the majority of flats are in their holes in the river banks generally 2-3ft below water level, hollow logs, under huge rocks in the middle of the river, holes in shelf rocks, wash outs under trees, anywhere they feel safe enough and they can defend from predators. The female lays the eggs, the male fertilizes the eggs, and then actually holds the eggs in his mouth. I'm sure spawning depends a great deal on water temperature but I have no evidence to support that...JMO.
    Don

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I also wanted to mention that they will tell you when they are going in. Check the ones you are catching. Look at their tails, sides, even their heads and mouth for scratches, bleeding, sores. They get those from cleaning out their prospective new homes. Pertty neat fish.
    Don