Spawning crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Catfish_Calvin, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Anyone know what water temp the crappie start to spawn at in the Midwest. Southern Iowa to be exact. :big_smile: Last year the spawn was mid may but im sure its different every year correct?

2. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    sixty to sixty five degrees water temp no matter what part of the country you're in. I'm around Kansas city and they are just now starting to come up on the banks.Shallow water warms faster....smaller lakes warm faster....the upper end of reservoirs always warm faster since the water tends to be shallower. tributaries above the lake tend to be good places early sometimes white bass will run up them and you can find crappie spawning 1-2 weeks before they are in the main lake. I leave the bass boat at home and run up them in my jon boat. On a big reservoir there can be up to 5-7 degrees difference in water temp form the dam to the upper reaches. If you have a boat with a temp guage it can make a big difference. Run till you find the warmest water and then you'll find the fish.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    good advice from eric.sometimes small feeder creeks will warm up from rain fall.

4. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm north of you a little bit(Denison Iowa area) and already saw crappies coming up to the shore last night at Yellow Smoke.