Spawning Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIG GEORGE, Jun 11, 2007.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    There always seems to be alot of questions about channels with swollen heads and all scarred up. Here is a fine example of what a spawnin male channel looks like.

2. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Its a coincedence you post this as I have a similar pic,LOL. Not as good as yours. Its hard to see from this angle but this particular fish was blue as a fish hook and his head all knotty and swollen from spawning.
    [​IMG]

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Look like someone been beating that catfish over the head :lol:

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for posting the pic bro. i have been catching spawners latly. water temps are mid to high 70s here.

5. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    How shallow with the Catfish spawn and what type of area do they spawn in?

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Depth I can't tell ya if there is a certain one. As far as the bottom goes. They are gonna be lookin for a rocky bottom to lay the eggs and fertilize them. This type of bottom is also codusive to buildin the nest needed.

7. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Two weekends ago We were bank fishing on Hogans creek about a quarter mile from the mouth of the ohio river in aurora indiana.I caught 2 channel about 6 or 7 pounds there bellies were swollen and so was something else they had to be filled with eggs we were fishing in about 8 feet of water I was a bit suprised I didnt think they would bite in this condition.