Spawning Cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by whisker maniac, Apr 29, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    When is spawning season for cats in your part of the country. Just interested to know how much difference there is from north to south and is there a pretty big difference like the rut in deer from north to south??

2. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    In Colorado it depends on what type of water you fish. The lakes that are close to the mountains don't warm until late June early July. Now the lakes out on the eastern plains will be ready here late May. Those lakes are still fed by snow run off but the water heats as it travels way out east.
    These are primarily trout waters as you can tell by my profile picture, but we have plenty of cats. I just need to learn to master them. Ha ha I miss my warm water lakes back home.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    April and early May are usually the times for spawning for most species of fish this far south. But this year with the weather the way it has been, it seems to be happening later.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree here they either spawn in May but the way the weater is I wouldnt be surprised if they start spawning in June.

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    We're running behind a little this year as well on Lewisville. I'm not finding many eggs at all in the fish we've been catching. The ones that do have eggs aren't very developed yet. It should really get going here in the next few weeks though and last through early July. Odd thing is I was catching 2 and 3 inch channel cats in my cast net back in February. Those fish should have been a little bit bigger for being six months old if they hatched at the normal time last year. The flooding we had last spring/summer might have got things out of wack a little too.