Spawning Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hunterhnc20, Jun 4, 2008.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Since the spawn is coming up I thought this would be a good topic to talk about and help each other out. Im just wondering how everyone fishes for catfish when they are spawning? Baits, location, water depth. how long to stay in one spot, etc..? Me personally I look for rocks and brush close to the banks and it seems like if they are there and your bait hits close to them they got it. I believe its a protection thing more then a hungry thing. Bait size dont really matter at this point I believe.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It has been my experience that you just have to be more aggressive; moving around a good deal and putting the bait right in front of the fish.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to target large rock piles, cutbanks with steep drops into deeper eddy pools, big narly twisted logjams are still a prime area as always, but also look to find over hanging trees on the river that have scoured root systems below them. These can be prime nesting areas and most likely there may be a flathead tucked up under them. I throw my baits right on the bank in front of these areas, and I too think they go to a more protected mode than feeding. However, when they are unable to chase baits away, they simply eat them. I use alot of bullheads around this time of the year, they have always been a productive bait for me....rollo

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fishing does slow down during the spawn but hard work and good bait will still catch fish.as soon as she lays her eggs the female is driven out and the males look after the eggs and fry.according to our bioligist 80+% of cats caught between june 15th and july 15th are females so now is the time to think hard about what and how many we eat.ill still eat a few just not any over 10 lbs.good fishing and good luck.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good point dude!