Spawning carp

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When you see spawning carp, you can bet your last dollar that there are some big cats and not so big cats staging in the area, getting ready to go in and eat the carp eggs and later the carp fry. I hit upon this action by accident several years ago and had a field day. So, when you see the carp in the shallows splashing around, start looking for a site to anchor down and get yourself a few cats.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thanks for the info
    most generally i use carp for bait so it all makes sence why the channels hit them too

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mac, we have done this for years and it's a great tactic. That's also how we fished this past Saturday in the Bass Pro tournament. This tactic also works a little later when the gar start spawning.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When do the carp start spawning in your area?

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Don`t know when they spawn in Pa. but I will do some investigating.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's great info Mac! I'll have to give that a try this year.:0a31::0a24:

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Last week we had carp/gar spawning in a flooded field on some of my relatives property! Went after those with the .22s waist-deep in fish-infested waters, man was that fun!! My friend shot a 15lb. buffalo! Gar and carp were nuzzeling up against our legs and it was pretty freaky that you couldn't see 6" into the water, especially when a big old longnose took a rub!! But talk about bait fillets and an adventure!:smile2:

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Ozzy, the carp usually start spawning in May, but with the fresh water we are currently getting and the up and down temps., it would be hard to say. If you are on the water and/or bank and you hear some thrashing along the shoreline in the weeds, the carp are getting ready to do their thing.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hadn't really though about that but it does make since.Thanks for the heads up .Carp around here start spawning late May early June (I think).

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Mac, I thought it was later around July but wasnt sure.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    They will usually spawn when the water temp's hit upper 60's.