Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the carp are spawning around here, I can see lots of massive fish conservatively over 10 pounds each. I was wondering if they will eat much during this time. I tried fishing using corn and worms and never had a nibble. Also I could see the fish and they didn't even look at my offerings. They never went for any of the chum (corn) I threw in the water. I realize there are better baits, but this was not a planned carp outing and I used what I had.

· Registered
764 Posts
I think the carp are spawning around here, I can see lots of massive fish conservatively over 10 pounds each. I was wondering if they will eat much during this time. I tried fishing using corn and worms and never had a nibble. Also I could see the fish and they didn't even look at my offerings. They never went for any of the chum (corn) I threw in the water. I realize there are better baits, but this was not a planned carp outing and I used what I had.
Yea for the most part im pretty sure they dont eat. I mean is it possible i guess so but... you might as well pack up the carpin stuff and switch to sumin else for a bit.. LOL... their to occupied with the ladies.. LOL...

· Registered
1,078 Posts
When I was in college at Kansas State I fished Tuttle Creek Resovoir and I had a fly line and a cove full of at least 100 carp going at it in only 3 feet of water. I waded out in there and the big carp were crashing into me. You could reach down and just pet the carp. I cast out with a fly and was catching them like crazy if I placed it on their front lips. My legs were just tore up from them hitting me. Some big carp in the 30s were common. I only hooked the smaller ones 10 lbs and under. The big ones were only after the females and would not hit. What a crazy time that was and one I will never forget. Folks don't beleive me to this day, but the good Lord knows what I saw.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey gotbuck that sounds like an incredible sight. About fifteen years ago I saw a half acre grass area get flooded about 10 inches deep and I saw so many pike the water was full of waves, none would take my hooks though. Thanks for answering everyone, I thought that would be the case, but hoped it wasn't.
Dean

· Registered
219 Posts
im in NC and the carp have started spawning here just recently. they will eat, but the bite will be slow. when they are done doing there ''THING" they will look for food, any activity in fish will tire them and burn energy, food will replenish them...so if they are in the area cast out and just wait you will catch them...

· Banned
10,335 Posts

Carp will not eat when spawning. They are too worried about getting laid. Try a bow and arrow. You do not need bait for them.

If they refuse to eat, force feed em!

· Registered
444 Posts
Carp will not eat when spawning. They are too worried about getting laid. Try a bow and arrow. You do not need bait for them.

If they refuse to eat, force feed em!
Carp do not all feed at one time, so some are usually on the outside waiting to be caught. The spawning carp are preoccupied. Some catch spawning carp but its much harder and more challenging than sticking one with a bow and arrow.

If you like to shoot them, enjoy, just hope you don't kill for the sake of killing. I for one choose to convince carp to take my bait rather then shoot them while they spawn or lay in the sun.

How do you cook your carp blacky?

· Banned
10,335 Posts
Carp do not all feed at one time, so some are usually on the outside waiting to be caught. The spawning carp are preoccupied. Some catch spawning carp but its much harder and more challenging than sticking one with a bow and arrow.

If you like to shoot them, enjoy, just hope you don't kill for the sake of killing. I for one choose to convince carp to take my bait rather then shoot them while they spawn or lay in the sun.

How do you cook your carp blacky?

Nope, I used them to fertilized my tomato garden. The neighbor will take them and feeds her cats. The rest is given to a friend for bait for his **** traps.

A bow and arrow has been used to catch fish way before man invented the fishing hook.

Anyone can get carp to feed on floating bread, mulberries, and corn.
Not all can make a 30ft shot off the bank.:handshake:

· Registered
943 Posts
Hooks and gorges were used way before a stick and string. Gig/harpoon type weapons were around before a stick and string. Hunting for carp is fun though. Only animals we waste are asian carp(only so much cutbait and fishoil/trapping bait you can use/store) and ADC yotes and the yotes are wasted by law. When we have a surplus of carp its easy to find someone who wants them to eat and more so if they are at least dressed/drawn/gutted. If something is consumable I hate to see it "wasted". Although used as fertilizer or ****/catfish bait isnt wasted in my book. Blacky once the asian carp invade your area you'll have the best maters around! We use the filleted asian carp carcass's in our gardens too!

· Registered
444 Posts
I have no issue with the elimination of asian carp. They are a very invasive species. Common carp were introduced which makes them non-native but also non-invasive. Many species of fish are non-native. Furthermore I think that common carp have been naturalized by this point in waters they have been in previously.

Just checking to see that we do not waste what we harvest. Could I use channel cats for fertilizer? Just a hypothetical.

I'm just getting a feel for reasons, believe it or not many see themselves as enviromental heroes and saviors if they shoot or toss carp on the bank. If you use them and methods are legal, then all power to you.

I myself get satisfaction releasing to catch them later.

In regards to what's easiest. Constantly finding and landing big carp can be much harder than see and shoot, althought that does take skill.

Bigger carp didn't get big being dumb and they can be very wary of baits over time.

And a string and piece of bone was used long before arrows.

· Banned
10,335 Posts
The common carp are as non-native and invasive as the asian carp. No difference other than one is from Europe and one is from Asia.

They both are detrimental to the native species. One filters out all the plankton in the water, while the other up-roots vegetation. Both species compete with native fish for food.

Anyone that says carp are good for our waters must be from Europe!:handshake:

· Registered
444 Posts
Invasive implies they were not intentionally introduced. The government introduced them to the waters and they are here to stay.

I just feel that in the majority of waters any damage done was done when they were first introduced, by now the system has established a balance. Carp also feed on invasive zebra mussels and root up as much vegetation as the native buffalo do.

The problems carp can cause are more prevalent in stagnant water and not river systems where the water flows and sediment cannot suspend.

Around here many of the great trout fisheries and small mouth areas have large carp but not large numbers, likewise the large blue cats are symbiotic with the carp in some areas.

Sight predators also have a field day on small carp.

· Registered
764 Posts
I have no issue with the elimination of asian carp. They are a very invasive species. Common carp were introduced which makes them non-native but also non-invasive. Many species of fish are non-native. Furthermore I think that common carp have been naturalized by this point in waters they have been in previously.

Just checking to see that we do not waste what we harvest. Could I use channel cats for fertilizer? Just a hypothetical.

I'm just getting a feel for reasons, believe it or not many see themselves as enviromental heroes and saviors if they shoot or toss carp on the bank. If you use them and methods are legal, then all power to you.

I myself get satisfaction releasing to catch them later.

In regards to what's easiest. Constantly finding and landing big carp can be much harder than see and shoot, althought that does take skill.

Bigger carp didn't get big being dumb and they can be very wary of baits over time.

And a string and piece of bone was used long before arrows.
I love carp fishing!!! Probably even more than for catfish!!! Carp are actually very smart and can be a sun of a gun to catch... Not enough people give carp the time of day of what they are really worth... Their very smart and also very fun to catch... If u dnt get the enjoyment of a carp spooling yer line out than idk what will... LOL... But i think if people would actually take sum time and throw for carp and see hoew hard it really is they would have more respect for the fish... Because they may seem stupid but they are not!!! Ive gotten so frustrated trying to catch consistant numbers of carp!!! I still havent quite gotten it down but im getting close. Just my opinion tho. Nothing wrong if sumone wants to cook and eat one but i just dont... Id rather catch and realease them so i can catch them again!

· Banned
161 Posts
I see poeple catching carp and taking them home in fish baskets i'm sure they are eating them because they load up their fish baskets and then again they're not throwing them on the bank so that's ok. I see lots of dead gar the bass fisherman hate them

· Banned
10,335 Posts
I love carp fishing!!! Probably even more than for catfish!!! Carp are actually very smart and can be a sun of a gun to catch... Not enough people give carp the time of day of what they are really worth... Their very smart and also very fun to catch... If u dnt get the enjoyment of a carp spooling yer line out than idk what will... LOL... But i think if people would actually take sum time and throw for carp and see hoew hard it really is they would have more respect for the fish... Because they may seem stupid but they are not!!! Ive gotten so frustrated trying to catch consistant numbers of carp!!! I still havent quite gotten it down but im getting close. Just my opinion tho. Nothing wrong if sumone wants to cook and eat one but i just dont... Id rather catch and realease them so i can catch them again!
Getting caught on a kernel of canned corn doesn't seem very smart to me.

here's what we say in Philly, if you can't catch flatheads, you go catch carp!:confused::mean:

· Registered
444 Posts
I see poeple catching carp and taking them home in fish baskets i'm sure they are eating them because they load up their fish baskets and then again they're not throwing them on the bank so that's ok. I see lots of dead gar the bass fisherman hate them
Killing gar, stupid idiots. To my knowledge gar and buffalo are native but people take them out to protect bass.

As for carp smart or dumb, all I know is it takes more than a can of corn to catch big carp consistently, or to catch real numbers of carp. You can catch channels with just worms, but takes more to get numbers.

Not even my 40lb flat held a candle to the fight of my 27lb carp this year. I fish for enjoyment and a challenge. I fight tough fish at tough locations and that's what I enjoy. I encourage everyone to do what they enjoy while respecting the environment.

Blacky, you are aware flatheads are classed as invasive in the north right. They eat native fish.

· Registered
943 Posts
I agree Guppy, I love to catch them and I love to eat them. I dread the day when there isnt any common carp, wonder what fish will become the out fish then? Not many people have ever landed a 20lb weighed carp. Most times their gear is trashed and ole bugle mouth is still swimmin. More people have caught 10lb+ cats then a 10lb+ carp I bet!

· Banned
10,335 Posts
Killing gar, stupid idiots. To my knowledge gar and buffalo are native but people take them out to protect bass.

As for carp smart or dumb, all I know is it takes more than a can of corn to catch big carp consistently, or to catch real numbers of carp. You can catch channels with just worms, but takes more to get numbers.

Not even my 40lb flat held a candle to the fight of my 27lb carp this year. I fish for enjoyment and a challenge. I fight tough fish at tough locations and that's what I enjoy. I encourage everyone to do what they enjoy while respecting the environment.

Blacky, you are aware flatheads are classed as invasive in the north right. They eat native fish.
At least the flatheads are American fish. Carp belong over in Europe!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.