Spawning Carp

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JHalden, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone I found a great spot of a local lake of mine, there is a flow in from a creek and there are carp spawning everywhere. My buddy said he say a dead catfish on shore from the other side so I'm hopin to hook into one on my next trip down there. Do you know if carp eat when they are spawning? Do catfish like to hang out or maybe spawn in the same area? There are some deeper areas but there are some very shallow spots too. I see the carp cruisin through the deeper parts and hangin in the shallows, should I let my bait sit in the deeper pools?

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Carp don't spawn here for quite some time still. From my experience they don't bite when spawning, I don't believe any do really. I've never found a problem with the two species sharing the same area either.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If your fishing for carp and your seeing them shallow thats were id be fishing for them,if its for catfish id check out some of the deeper pools.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I agree with the others,

spawning carp would be the last place I would go for catfish.
    Usually carp spawn shallow in PA and often pick mud/marsh.

cats however spawn near rocks and places with holes and crannies.

neither fish feeds while spawning, but fish do not always attack a bite because of hunger. sometimes bites can be territorial.

the two fish Do seem to spawn at the same time, but it is a wonder that even in CA there are spawning now, this is months and months away for us in PA... nearly July.

the reason spawning excites fishermen isn't that fish bite SO much During spawning..but they often feed voraciously before and after spawning. and if they're STaging for spawning (either fish), now is the time to focus on catching them.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If you find spawning carp I can almost guarantee there are channel right in with them gorging on eggs.I've done it many times cast right in middle of carp with worms and you will catch catfish.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, thats interesting. it seems all wrong as far as what the water (particularly in the day) catfish would like, but catfish certainly would be interested in a free easy meal...

Ray do you catch cats in the day doing this ? or is this more of a night bite. and how close to spawning season do you have to be??

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I catch them in daytime when you can see the carp rolling just cast right in middle of them.A lot of times if your watching close you will even see the catfish rolling too.