Spawning blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Hookman, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    were &when do they spawn....hookman....

2. pony

pony New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hay hookman i guess no one wants too anser your question lol... hahaha...pony

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They spawn when the water temp is between 72 to 83 degrees according to the biologists I listen to.Usually in shallow water in hollow logs, pipes, man made structures, rocks and root wads.Expect the spawn to last up to at least a month and the fishing will be tougher than it ever is during this time.Once again this is info from the biologists I listen to I've noticed that alot of biologists say different things so you got to pick one that says what you like to hear and go with that.:big_smile: One thing I do know is that here in SC the water temp is 81 and the big fish want bite right now so they are on the spawn.Thats my excuse anyway.:big_smile:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Hookman the blues should be spawning now in your neck of the woods. after the femails lay there eggs the males will chase them(the females) from the nest and gard it till the eggs hatch and then stick around a while longer. so you will see the large females Move off the nest first then a copple weeks later the males will move off the nest and they will be hungry hang on for some fishing. This is just my experience Good Luck Bigcatman0816.

5. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the big ones have moved off the nest arround here. All we're finding in holes right now is medium sized channels and the occational flathead.

6. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    im not sure but in the rivers ''kryton''

7. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    A guide recently told me that Blues do not all spawn at the same time so what you have is some going to and some coming from the spawn. He believes you can catch fish even though they appear to be on the spawn. You just have to go where they are with the bait they want.

As he is always catching fish I think he is correct.

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I think he's leadin' ya to the right spot hookman. I've actually read in an article that blues will bite while they're in their nest, trying to guard thier eggs, but you have to get it right on top of them, or it'll be ignored. But then agian, I've also heard from old veteran catfishermen that they just won't bite during spawn. I don't generally target blues, but get them while flathead fishin'. Hope this helped.

-Red

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i have caught cats spring through fall with consistency so I don't think they have lockjaw during the spawn. i do think they feed heavily before and after the fall though, just like other fishies.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Let me refraze the tough fishing during spawn part.It can be tough catching blues over 20lbs not smaller ones.

11. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish the ohio river around adams county ohio, I found a hole around 53 feet deep, in a curve of the river, I mark fish on the bottom but I can't get them to bite, I use live shad and cut, I start at the begining of the hole and work my way to the deep, the water temp is in the 80s now, need help men, please.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    kieth i have the same problem sometimes. i think when the fish get that deep then they are not active feeders. seems like you just set there wasting bait in them spots. what i have found is to move to shallower water close by and i seem to find fish willing to bite. at this time of year i would think you wanted to be fishing shallower with the spawn going on. the only other thing is are the fish right on the bottom or not? i have a spot i catch fish with slip corks that deep but i dont do too good fishing the bottom. i just pick the bait up off the bottom 4-5 ft with the cork. just some thought but welcome to the boc.