Spawning Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Arkansascatman777, May 26, 2006.

1. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Does anyone have any tips for catching spawning blues. What areas should you fish on a lake or river? How should you rig up your lines etc...? ANY TIPS APPRECIATED 777

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    As far as I know they don't actually feed when thier spawning-its before and after.I've been fishing mud/gravel flats with luck.Blues have also been in shallow stumpy coves in 4-6ft water at night on the lake I fish.I've even caught some big ones in the cove,though most were under 10lbs.

3. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
  4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've also heard they don't bite during the spawn, but the trick is to put it right in front of their face. It's that difficult task that makes people believe they don't. But, just fish heavy structure like rocks and log piles in shallow water. That's where they usually congregate. My biggest blue isn't very big compared to others, but I've caught 'em and that's where they're found. Hope this helps.

-Red

5. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Thanks Red. I had to put my boat in the shop yesterday maybe they will be off the nest by the time I get it back. 777

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When blues go on spawn you will have about a 3 week or so wait until they start to feed again, time to do honey do's while this is going on, I have one friend here that lives close to me that when the blues and flatheads go on spawn he does house work puts on a aprin and does the clothes and house cleaning and even mow's the grass, just remember when they come off spawn you can't see his house due to the forest in his front yard. And his wife has start the cleaning again. LOL :lol:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is why DH paved his yard!!! Now he doesn't have to listen to the BS from his wife!!!

8. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    So when do the Blues spawn and where?

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the info guys. since posting this I was also told that Gar and catfish spawn at about the same time and to fish around rocks - stumps or trees 2 to 5 ft. deep. Was also told to look for the gars splashing along rock banks that would mean they were spawning and to fish down current from them to catch catfish feeding on their eggs. We tried that last Saturday and it works we caught 22 blues drifting below the gars. biggest was just 8 lbs. Im just glad we were given some tips for fishing the spawn I thought I was going to have to go play golf or something.:big_smile: 777

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, I'm going out bank fishing at the lake this evening for cats, Channel, Bullhead and Blue. Wish me luck, and if anyone has any last minute advice, toss it out so I can check in on it before I go out. I'll be using cut bait on 85# test, cast at drop offs where I've seen some big holes in the cliffside when the water was down low over the winter.

11. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    spawning blues here in wv that ive caught love shrimp on top of the hook witha night crawler dangling from the bottom of the hook then fish about 6-10 inches off the bottom and jig like you jig for crappie with a bobber. use a slip rig and hang on hooked some monsters this way here a 50lber is huge...