Spawn

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by IamMike, Feb 20, 2006.

1. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    OK, I need some input here. I understand that the shovel heads go into a feeding frenzy some time in the spring before they spawn. I fish a lot of lakes and ponds and I have never been able to determine the timing of this activity. I've been doing a lot of work in Hamilton and Middletown of late and have been checking out the GMR. I've only fished this river a few times. I assume that water temp and time of year contribute to this activity. Do any of you have a method to determine this pre-spawn activity in the GMR or like a generic date guide line. I've heard a lot of guys say that this is the time to go after trophy shovels, and I don't want to miss it. Thanks for any help. I would also like to suggest keeping this thread active and trying to monitor the spawn this year. Cool deal, and good fishing.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mike

The Flatheads become active @ above a 55 degree water temp. The spawn takes place @ a water temp of approx. 73-76 dregrees.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in your area it will be around late june through mid-late july.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i fish the kanawha river which dumps into the ohio, and dinkbuster1 hit the spawn time right on the head for around here. the month of may produces alot of flats for me. then about middle of june to middle of july all bites stop. good time to do any repairs, get that 4' grass cut or whatever else you let go caught up before round 2.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would generally agree with Baitkiller,
    though I think that spawn window may be a little larger the further north you go. Up in MN the temps are around 70-76 F.
    I've heard and read that some people think the spawn starts for flats starts at 66F
    Baitkillers right about when the flat activity starts around 55.
    but it might be a little lower again the further north you go. (I only say that because our water temp is 32.5-33.5 degrees right now.
    IF you dont want to miss them, watch your water temps as soon as they hit 50 or 55. start hammering.
    good Luck
    Larry

6. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Thanks for all of the info guys.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, If the actual spawn is in june/ july what you need to fish is the Pre-spawn in MAY. Thats when they have the feedbag on. The're moving about looking for spawning locations and hunting food so they can fatten up and defend the nest. They don't feed while spawning.