spawn?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FLATHEADJOE, Mar 29, 2008.

1. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey guys we went to the lake yeesterday caught some bait and decided to try some shallow water .we set up and anchored in a foot of water with some deeper water close by.we werent set up for 30 min and suddenly there were,without exageration,hundreds of blue cats all over the place.it looked like they were spawning??the temp wes 63 degrees.well we watched them and casted everything we had to them but only produced three fish 2 blues and a channel.I guess my question is were they spawning yet? and can you catch them when they are spawning?i know you guys have some answers so thanks in advance.im very perplexed by this and would love to know if anyone has seen this and had results . thanks

p.s. it was good to see ron howard out there making a buck.hope you caught some fish,we were in the sea pro that was headed out as you were headed in i tried on the radio but couldnt raise ya and i didnt have your # with me.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I wish we would have seen them. :angry:

We did see carp, lots and lots of them with their fins out of the water, but no schooling blues, but we did see Roundhill!!!! :smile2:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    WC, did you do a trip with the master of Santee? Inquiring minds want to know.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...WC, did you do a trip with the master of Santee..."

No, LakeNormanblues, I did a trip with the master of Monticello!! We fished the Carolina Catmen tournament Saturday. Last minute thrown together plan. We got spanked...hard...with our pants down...and with a paddle.

The "master of Santee" did pull the big fish out of the bag for tournament!! Had he had a full limit of fish I am sure he would have been in the running for the win.

I am sure the results will be soon to follow. Congrats to the winner with an AWESOME bag of fish on a day when the bite was not that great. Hint hint...it was a BOC member!!! :smile2: Pretty decisive win too.

I will let the suspense build!! :wink:

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the report Joe, never have seen that. What area were they spawning in? PM me

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've seen them on Badin before rolling like that over deep water. They look like dolphins rolling on top of the water. I have yet to catch one. I've seen them out there by the hundreds rolling like that. Also, blues spawn around 70 degree water I think from what I've read and if the fish you were catching weren't fat and about ready to pop, then they weren't spawning. Spawning blue cats get FAT, and big time. Last year, they looked like they would pop. I'm guessing a 20 lb. fish gains about 10-15 lb. when spawning. We caught the fattest fish I've ever seen last year in May.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sounds like you had a good time