Spawn? Ohio River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cheezemm2, Jul 7, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Make it stop!

Actually, I was looking at the Pike Island water temps and it's been near 75 degrees for almost a month now. They have to be coming out of it soon. Has anyone heard/seen any flatties from the Ohio as of late?

Also, if anyone has seen some shad in the Northeast Ohio area, please pm me. I've been all over the place lately and have seen very few! I'm just not seeing the little shad ripples that normally take place!

Must catch flattie...going bonkers:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

2. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    I risked my life out on the Ohio last week on a very windy day... amazing how fast big waves can be created! All of the white knuckling experience I can handle for a year didn't warrant a single fish! I did manage to pull a big channel out of another river later that night, but man... this is killing me!!! Hopefully it'll only be another week or so!

3. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    been seeing them in the 10lb range. and the local tournys are still pulling in a few hogs. so it should be almost over in my area. i havent seen big schools of shad like there used to be around here in about 2 years. the shad used to be every where now its just warm water oulets and some creek mouths. the shad pop at pike island hasn't been as strong as it use to be either.:sad2:

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    For the Shad we all need at least two honey holes and two nets, He hee!!

I too still can come up with only two dozen with about 8 hrs. work put in sometimes.... about 12% of the times we fish the Flats.

:roll_eyes:

5. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I saw a couple of 35 pounders taken at clendening couple of weeks ago. As far as shad goes I caught six with a net near portage lakes in about 2 hours. I keep hearing about skipjack but never caught one. That was what I was trying to catch.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am betting the cats will be turning on soon. With the hot weather they will be hugging the deep holes trying to stay cool

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We must have been there the same day, it was a wild ride back to the ramp for sure. I thought I should have dropped a crab pot (deadliest catch).LOL:big_smile:

8. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm in the Portage Lakes area also and was netting, and netting, and netting, and netting......very few baitfish, just little gills/crappie which I can't keep obviously! Now I don't feel quite so bad since no one seems to be in shad city! Just wish I could find those little buggers....

I might be on the Ohio this weekend in the yak if the flow stays down and the weather looks decent. I will update on what time Saturday if anyone wants to see kayak flatheading in action! Hopefully I can find a whitebass or two for bait if nothing pans out before then!

Still looking to best my 30lber in my avatar:cool2:

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jim, GOOD HUNTING on the Ohio River.

With the new changes to our profiles I am not sure where u r (for sure) or where U fish. If there any of the "Old L&D" in your area on the Ohio River that have had the the rubble/concrete left in the water when removed, these r real hot spots in my opinion. I fish "Old L&D #9" and the Flats there average 17#s fer me and others that fish in the rubble. Down stream they may average bigger.

Heres a link that shows some of the Old Ones but #11 on down I do not know much about.
    http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/nav/nav.htm

:0a26:

10. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yesterday i caught a 1lb shovelhead haha it was cute

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man for all of you who cant find shad anywhere I feel for ya. Except the exact opposite. The shad here are so plentiful its almost too much. I dont blame the cats for not biting with all the shad there are. One cast with a castnet in just about any creek around here and your ready to go fishing. I wish there was someway I could give you half the bait we have here. Cuz it is overkill and i kinda think it hurts our fishing having too much