Sparrow question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, May 12, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i like the sparrow chirp, and i have encouraged them to hang around the last couple of years. however they are starting to nest in places i don't want them to. a few firecrackers will run them off immediatley, but i don't want them to abandon their little babies...my question is this: when do sparrow chicks fly the coop?

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    IV THREE TO FOUR WEEKS I THINK

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know Phil. when I was a kid my dad payed my brother and I 5 cents each for every chik we found in the nests we tore down in the eaves lol.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Gulp! You killed little birdies?:0a5::0a4::0a15:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well we had a bad infestation of em them and I thought a nickle a head was good money at the time ,I was around 9 or so .:cool2::wink:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was laying in the gravel looking for indian beads last weekend with the kids. seen a starling digging in the eve of my bathroom addition. well .22 bird shot took care of them tomato plant stealing burglers. i also heard some sparrows chirping around there. not sure how long it takes for them to develope and wing it.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    phil within 4 weeks of hatching they will be trying to fly. i put birdseed on mouse glue traps and catch them for free snake food. a wild sparrow is better than a store bought mouse! when i was a kid we peeled the bark off a dead cottonwood tree and found a baby sparrow in a nest. we took it home and fed it and taught it to fly and it would never leave the front tree. it barekly had pinfeathers when we got it, and was flying three weeks later. (this is how i guessed the time from hatching.) i have also raised robins, blue jays, flycatchers, crows, and mockingbirds. my bedroom was a zoo growing up.