Spark plugs

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dwreel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have a Johnson 130 HP 2 stroke. I get it on the water maybe 24 times a year and run time is about 2-3 hours each trip. Given that it's burning oil with the gas, would it be cost effective to change plugs every year? And would it help starting as opposed to older (1yr.) plugs?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Dwreel, I tend to change the plugs in everything that I own every twelve months. It's a minimal maintenance cost to keep a good spark. Also on most equipment it is a fairly simple procedure. Besides it may just help you to tweek that fuel mileage just a bit. Vern

3. phatcat

phatcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I chang mine every also ,Its part of spring tunup PHATCAT

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I change my plugs and lower unit oil every spring.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    A related question:

I put new plugs in my 200 Merc late last summer, then fogged the cylinders when I put it away for the winter.

When I pull it out of storage, do I need to just trash the plugs and get new ones? Or will they burn off all the fogging oil once I start it up?

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would fire it up with the old plugs and let it burn the oil out and then replace them.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Excellent advice Desperado.I use my boat all winter so don't fog but that is the way to do it.I change plugs every 12 months even though the plugs for a Mercury Optimax cost 13$+ each.Just make it part of your maintenance procedures and it isn't to painful.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I started changing plugs every twelve months last year. I like desparadoes recommendation to start up the engine with the old plugs to burn off the fog and then replace with your new ones.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Save your old plugs for back up in case you have one go south on you while on the water.

One other thing I recommend is change the lower unit oil in the fall. That way if it has any water in it it won't have time to freeze on yea. Those cracked gear cases do get expensive.
    If you do get water intrusion before you start throwing seals at it change out the little seals behind the fill and drain screws first. I have found that water in most lower units have intruded that way.

10. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Its important to use the same brand spark plug that your engine was equiped with from the factory.Two strokes are susceptable to damage from spark plugs with the wrong heat range. I also use a little anti seize on the plug threads. A spare set of plugs are a good idea, keep them in a plastic container to keep them from getting damaged. They sell plastic holders for individual plugs at Boater World.

11. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Especially on 2-strokes make sure your gap is correct before installing, and check gap on old plugs that your going to use for spares.