Spark Plug Change Price

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mocatman, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mocatman

mocatman Guest

I was just wondering what a fair price for the average boat mechanic to change out spark plugs in a 2005 60 hp mercury. I know this is a fairly easy task to do and shouldnt take very long at all.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    IF you are only changing spark plugs, yes, it is the easiest task of all. Simply pull the plug wire off, unscrew one plug and replace it with another. Snug them up good, but don't over tighten. Snap plug wire back on. Save your money and do it yourself. The average boat mechanic would probably charge at least $20 minimum.

Bill in SC

3. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Ya i had a mechanic tell me with labor and parts it would be $90 big ones. I guess he thought i was born yesterday or something! Is there a certain gap you have to get your plugs before you put them in?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Get a manual and see what the gap setting is for your motor. I use the marine plugs that don't have to be gapped. I guess your 60 has three plugs. They are probably $5 or so apiece, and it is a 15 minute job at the most.

Bill in SC

5. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Most shops have a minimun charge period. I know one of the shops here it is like 80 bucks min so as said before buy your plugs and install them yourself it is a lot cheaper. Even if you buy a manual for the engine it will still be a lot cheaper then paying someone thier service charge for a 10 minute job.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's called a surface gap plug. Just a small round electrode in the middle of the insulator and it arks to the outside rim. A very cold plug that Mercury uses quite a bit.

Tighten the plugs just enough to squash the metal gasket.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    NGK plugs are supposed to be pre gapped but I bought 2 for my 8hp mercury and they weren't gaped right.
    After jumping through hoops in the mercury website and chewing someone's a%% for making that info impossible to findhey called me and told me the gap. I wrote it inside the engine cover as well as the spark plug number and a cross reference number for champion plugs. I also plan on vacuum bagging an extra set of plugs to keep them dry and putting them in the battery case. Just an idea.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've seen the more modern NGK plugs, not perform as well in the older engines that came from factory with the cheaper champion plugs

9. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was that way with my '85 15 HP Force motor ... Don't know why but it just started and idled better with the champion plugs ... My only guess is the NGK's are made for modern solid state ignitions that have a bit more kick than the early solid state and breaker point systems (My Force had breaker points)