Spanked!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by center12, Jan 4, 2009.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Meet Tom up at the Perry docks for a little COLD weather crappie fishing and now have some fish to clean:smile2:. There are seventeen nice crappie in the bucket, now here's the spanked part...................only one was put in there by me!! The old coon lay waste to the dock novice:crazy:.

Enjoyed the hell out of the fishing and the company Tom, thanks for the education. Look forward to doing it again sometime.

P.S. Word to the wise..........fish the colors Tom fishes, count the turns off the bottom he is, crowd him out of the slip if you must, walk like him if it helps, but pay attention you'll learn something!!

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Looking forward to getting spanked next weekend, Charlie! Thanks for the tips!
    Personally, I'd just like to have some crappie fillets in my freezer, no
    matter who caught them. I admit 1 to 16 is sort of disheartening, but he
    has been practicing after all. Maybe I'll get two with luck!

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tom's quite the crappie guru! Sounds like a good trip for a cold winter day.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Charlie,thanks for coming up.A lot of guys wont fish in todays condtions being it was sub zero out there today:crazy:so you have my respect just showing up today.

I wish you were the one catching and not me, it was just my day i guess.But you did catch a bunch of fish .If they were all keepers you would of had your bucket full with-in a hr.Next time it will be you catching.:wink:

And you did catch BIG fish of the day a (12" crappie)

I enjoyed the time fishing with you today and look forward to doing it again anytime your ready.

Never seen anyone with so many jigs and bodies,spoons etc.. than what you have.Cabela's has nothing on your inventory.:tounge_out::eek:oooh:

Charlie i cant get the picture with you holding the crappie to re-size.i will keep working on it and re-post.

Thanks again for your company i had a good time.

Attached Files:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good work guys. Ray and I had some crappie yesterday. Yummy!!:smile2:
    May have to set some out for tonight.:wink::smile2:

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nothing better Kyle....So you guys working on a boat re-build project or recuriting for Melvern:smile2::smile2:.

Ray the cabins at Melvern are not very nice.Full of spiders and flys and smell like fish:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink::smile2::smile2:

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    A little bit of both.:smile2:
    Ray, the cabins are really nice. Well, at least Tom's room was.:wink:
    He got a fancy bed and everything.:smile2:

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I can understand that,....those older folks get a little cranky if they don't get a good nights sleep.:roll_eyes::smile2:

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Here's Charlie with a couple of nice crappie.

Attached Files:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kyle had side rails on his bed.:smile2:Thought he would like that:smile2::smile2:

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, you saw the tip of the iceberg as far as tackle goes........I've got 3 T-boxs full and still have stuff in buckets. Eric was a "collector" to say the least!! We both know a fellow could simplify things by going to about 4 colors and a handful of 1/8th oz. jigs, but what's the fun in that:smile2:. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I did catch a few pointers today that will improve my crappie catching(I hope). Thanks for sharing your fishing hole and your company. Froze my butt off filleting those fish............ sure all the hardships these crappie have produced will make them that much sweeter on the plate.

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Speaking of cooking crappie, how do you get your fish to come out real crispy?
    I've been experimenting with seasonings, and have got some pretty good tastes, but I just can't get consistent crispiness.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I deep fry my fish and like the oil to be around 400.

Also like to put finely crushed saltine crackers in my breading, not disappointed with the finished product so far. Haven't tried it yet, but have heard that mixing instant mashed potato flakes in with your breading also give ya good crispiness. Will give it a try once I get some cats, likes the crappie just the way they are.

When I dump the cooked fish out of the fry basket they go on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath to catch the grease. The fish isn't getting soggy laying there on a grease filled towel.

14. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Ray,i do the oil at 400,try to get all the water off the filets before i dip em in a milk and egg mixture.i use cracker crumbs,no particular kind,i like them all but they have to be smashed down to powder form.the instant potatoes are good and do add crispiness.be liberal with them.a lil salt and pepper in with it and its all good.im not sure how long you're letting them cook for but i usually let them get to be a good golden brown before i take them out 5-8 minutes im guessing.also like Charlie said,put them on a rack or something that will soak up the grease nice and good. i.e. paper grocery sacks,hand towels, etc.

15. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
  16. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Charlie,Tom might just be the fish whisperer and giving the crappie a heads up whenever he's gonna bring company!:smile2::wink: it was kinda like that a few weeks ago when lil Kaleb and i were there.:confused2::roll_eyes: now if its the same story next weekend when Michael and Jay come down to fish,then Tom is the official Dr. Doolittle of the perry docks:smile2:
    we went to melvern yesterday and it was tough too.they were not stacked up thick anywhere,it was catch 6-7 off a pile and then it was time to move to the next one.we ended up with 24 and a 19" walleye.

17. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've always preferred cornmeal based breading, I guess because thats what I grew up with, but it seems like I end up with more cornmeal left in the oil than I do on the fish. My mother could make good crispy fish with cornmeal, and I've had others that are good, but mine has always been hit and miss. I can get store bought to come out right, but it just aint Moms. :confused2:

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Ray, if you dip your fillets in egg and milk try adding a little bit of lemon juice to it. The lemon juice helps the breading stick to the fish. Don't over do it or the acids in the lemon juice will curdle your milk.

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Caleb, now that you mention it I did here some mumbling from him down at the end of the dock.............it could have been fish whispering, but I just thought it was Vodoo or something:crazy:. Didn't notice any sacrificed chickens so it may very well have been fish whispering........good call!!

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, don't mean to intrude on your Crappie thread, but Charlie's whining about not being able to catch any reminds me of a "guy" I Cat fished with, he had to fish "his bait". Finally he used what I was using, needles to say, eventually he came to his senses and finally caught some decent Cats. Some how this thread just reminded me of that day.:smile2: