Spanish Lake

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by StuBone278, Feb 25, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well I fished Spanish Lake yesterday for a few hours with a few friends. Bait was easy to come by with a few shad. After a few minutes of lines on the bottom, we picked up a 3.5pound gou, and a little later a small channel catfish! I may go again soon and do some more scouting, it really looked like there were tons of fish jumping everywhere! I think they were mostly gou.:big_smile: Anyone have any gar or gou experience in there??

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Stu there is a zillion gar fish to deal with! There are also more huge soft shell turtles in there, then any other place that I've fished! We fished the other night and ended up with just four two small blue's and two small channels! All good sized eaters!:cool2:

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    All types of gar?!?!:big_smile:

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Stu, I've only hooked long-nose gar! I promise you when it starts to warm up, you can catch all you can handle! Haven't seen any alligator gar in their.

5. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    Stu you need to point that boat south to delcambre ,La there is alot of catfishing activity down there in the marsh search Louisiana sportsman there is a fellow there who is always posting catfish .There used to be a local gang on this site who fished that area but all have left .

6. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Stu: are you referring to the Spanish lake that hugs Iberville and Ascension Parish?
    I have gotten access to that lake off La 74 and done pretty good with bream in the cypress flats in the extreme north west of the lake. Man - you have o have a shallow draft boat and be on plane to get back there

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks a lot yall, and yeah! longnose would be nuts!! I do have a 14ft. aluminum so I think I could make it back to those bream holes! I'm guessing 1/16 oz jigs would work well??:big_smile:

8. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    If you are going back to the cypress flats and launchingfrom hwy 74 - you go pass white camp(Burnt now) until the canal tees --hang a left then an immediate right. (If you go straight- you'll end up behind Hunt correctional and likey to get attention)When you make the right getup and don't let off until you see a huge stand of cypress approx 2-miles. Alot of nesting bald eagles back there-take a camera and watch the snakes in the limbs.....

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks a lot man! I'm pretty sure we're talking about different areas though, I meant to post in my last one but the computer froze... This lake is just northwest of New Iberia! I'll make sure to look up what you're talking about though!:roll_eyes:

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well I went yesterday with my friend Chris and we didn't catch anything but shad in the cast net, which there is an abundance of over there. Now I have bait for whenever, so it wasn't all that bad.

I also kept hearing and seeing fish jump and flap really quickly like you would hear a speckled trout do once hooked, are these gaspergou? They are literally everywheres!!

Lastly, we found a small noodle jug and put bait on it twice to find out gar kept picking the bait off.:sad2:

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went yesterday with some friends mainly to boat around. Caught a 10" channel cat under a cork, and idled right up next to an alligator almost as long as my boat (14ft.) The head was at least 2 feet long, and we all estimated it to be around 10-11 feet long.:tounge_out: My camera batteries died, and the pictures on my phone aren't worthy.