Spam as bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 5, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    now i know catfish bite better on natural baits preferbly, but what about spam? i mean its salty and its meat. has anyone experimented with spam before, i have some spam thats pretty old and i figured id cut it up into cubes and then add a little garlic salt to it...

2. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    I've caught a few small channels on Spam (right from my box lunch- fried rice with spam) but its hard to stay on the hook and the tilapia usually pick the hook clean. Leaves a nice oil slick on the water too... If you could find a way to toughen it up without losing its greasiness, I think it'll make a great alternative "store bought" bait.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, I guess if you already have some that's beyond eating, you could go ahead and use it, but as already mentioned, it doesn't stay on the hook well. As for buying it just for bait, IMO, that's too expensive, and there are better choices. Bacon will stay on the hook better, but salt pork will stay on MUCH better. Both are greasy enough to provide a nice scent trail, and the salt pork is....salty.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Jerry on this one. Try that Salt Pork.:lol::smile2:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught a few small cats on Spa, but nothing to brag about. I cut it in small chunks, tossed a few handfulls out for chum, and fished it on a small #6 hook.

6. muleskinner78

muleskinner78 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have used spam a time or two but had the same problems.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Yup even the stuff that I left in the fridge to tuffen up.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    My cousin worked on the big tugs on the big rivers. When docked the guys would take a can of spam, cover it with garlic salt then microwave it for 3 minutes. He claims it toughens it up and won't come off the hook....and they kept the boat supplied with fish doing it.

9. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    to my surprise, with all your feed back about the spam falling off the hook, that was not a problem, the problem was no bites, nibbles and so on, so thanks for the posts:big_smile: