Spadra on fire again

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by ccat, Nov 1, 2009.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Well, it was on this weekend at Spadra, but it just took a little time.
    The other half and I got the tent all set up and got out on the water around 4:30pm Saturday. Netted a few shad, but could only manage about 8 pull downs.....and no fish.
    Today (Sunday) was a different story. Maybe the full moon had something to do with it. Shad were jumping in the boat as were a few big gizzard shad. We netted plenty. It looked almost like Kerr shad.
    We fished in and around Spadra creek. Did drift the main channel to see how fast.....3.40mph.....too stinking fast. My call to the corps revealed 98,000cfs.
    We set up in the mouth of Spadra, way back in the creek and all points in between. Besides having to dodge the Federation Bass Boys, we caught fish at all places, but got into a frenzy out in front of the railroad bridge.
    At one point, I had 5 rods bouncing and tugging.
    Here was the catch. We caught a lot of blues today on that hole and put 2 gallons of fillets away.........and ALL fish were caught on Gizzard fillets.....no Threadfin shad caught a fish. Never had that before.
    :embarassed:OK Sam, you need to get out that bottle of Absorbine Jr. you have. I got my butt whipped again.:cry: She caught the 11 pounder. I "only" mustered fish up to 5 pounds. I was "battling" a 2 pounder when her big fish hit.
    Oh well, we had a great day and caught a bunch of blues.
    Team Cat 5/0 and 8/0 double action hooks and 80# Tug-o-War did the trick once again.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
    • 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
  2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Looks like you had a good time and caught some fish to top it off. Glad to see someone out fishing. Never been there myself, but when I get a boat or one going than I may try my luck there sometime.

Nice pics and congratulations on the catch!

3. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats on the 11 pounder and other nice fish you cought.
    Chris I feel your pain on that butt whippin, Puppypal has been doing me that way for a few weeks now.
    Last week she cought 10 pounder and a few eaters me (((0))), this weekend was slow but she pulled out a 8 pounder me (((0))).I'm luckly still ahead from two weeks ago when I cought a 21+9 pounder but she coming up from behind fast.:crazy::eek:oooh::embarassed:

4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I know, but when they start "bragging" about it...that is when it hurts.
    She even said "you get this one" when I caught that little dink, but she jumped up when the Meat Hunter about tipped the water when that bigger fish hit.

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    LOL Congrats to ya! Just think of it this way, If your wife is into fishing you two are saving money! Why you ask? Because she could be shopping! LOL ROFL LOL:tounge_out:
    I love to fish and the calm it produces in worth its weight in gold! I love the outside period! The birds, the animals, all its wonder.........
    But it is pretty cool to catch a big um once and a while!:wink:
    Signed
    Raysplay's Wife

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    dang, ya'll got me scared to even take my wife fishing now. :eek:oooh::wink::roll_eyes:

7. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Fishstick you need to fess up if I remember last time you took your wife out to fish see smoked you :embarassed:
    I think the ladies are plotting a take over:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    If anyone has river info, send it on this way. I know it is wet and moving, but I mean fishing info.
    3 more days with these darlings in school and I'll be down there having a slaughter fest with the blue kitty's.:tounge_out: Hope they are ready for the onslaught of shad coming at them at all angles.

9. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    2 more days and counting until the slugfest at Spadra:tounge_out::big_smile:. I will be posting the catch report wednesday night and then again after 3 days of battling the blues this coming weekend:tounge_out::eek:oooh:.
    I hope all of yall have a great Thanksgiving.

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Well, the slugfest WAS ON today.
    We got down to Spadra around 6:45am. Big Sam called me before I could even cross the tracks and was waiting with the Cub. I guess the holiday cheer was in full force, Big Sam had already netted us a bunch of shad, so I didn't have to sling the cast net a single time. Thanks Sam.:big_smile:
    We started out setting up on a stump flat and busted 6-7 blues in the 6 pound range. Sam moved west of me a little and nailed 5 real quick, including a 13 pounder, or whatever weight he told me. It was a nice fish though.:tounge_out:
    We moved down to the honeyhole and set up on the channel drop, while Sam moved to another stump flat that 777 knows about. We ended up with a few doubles and probably pulled another 10 out of that hole.
    Sam called my cell after he caught a 15# blue and had one bigger (20-25#) on that had him wrapped around a stump. The fight was on, but the fish won out and pulled loose.:tounge_out::embarassed::eek:oooh:
    We moved over to that flat where Sam was and ended up catching about 10-12 more, with one that went over 11#. I saw Big Sam even sling back to back fish in the boat within 10 seconds of each other. Those blues didn't have a chance today. By the time the Cub and the ComboCat headed out, we ended up with 50-60 blues between us.
    I put away 2 gallons of fillets, as did Sam...not to mention the big mess that was fried up tonight.
    Another battle will take place Friday thru Sunday, once the tent is set and camp is secured.......no Black Friday shopping for me and Tina. It is blue cat shopping time this weekend. Sam, if you and Johnny don't meet up on Kerr, hollar at me and come on down for a steak Friday night.:cool2:
    All fish caught today were caught on Team Cat tackle and shad fillets. I only had one fish on shad chunks and shad heads. Fillets were the ticket.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife claims she'll go fishing with me if we had a boat. That beats shopping for me. :cool2:

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Well, round 3 at Spadra just went into the books.:wink:
    After wearing out the blues with my dad and big Sam on Wednesday to the tune of about 60 blues, my other half and I went down Friday thru today to do a little camping and relaxing.........and of course bluecat fishing.:wink:
    Saturday I netted a ton of shad up in Spadra creek and we hit the water on some stump flats around 10:30am. We managed about 8 on the first flat, but had to move around to find them. It seemed all the fish wanted shad fillets again and not the cut/chunked shad like a month ago.
    We moved down river about 8 miles and set up on another stump flat and caught another 5-7 blues.
    I kept thinking they might be on the drops...........and on the drops they were. We found a new drop past the honeyhole (sam, you know where you saw me on Wednesday). This drop is about 25-28 feet with a flat of about 6-8 feet up off of it. I marked a ton of fish on the drop and set up to fish a few rods on the drop. After catching 3 fish on the rod closest to the flat, I drowned some shad up on the flat. Well, that was the ticket. We put out more rods on the flat and about had to call for help to catch all the fish. We ended up catching about 20-30 blues in just an hour on this flat.:crazy: I don't think there were stumps on this flat, but the current changed and put them up on the flat and off the drop. I called the corps and there was less current being let out at Ozark than on Friday, so maybe that moved them up on the flats to feed.
    We had doubles and triples twice. It was a battle. Darkness and the run back up to Spadra finally did us in.:sad2: We left them biting. The total was 42 blues, and none went into the freezer. Most were bigger than my 2-4 pound cleaning size limit.
    Larry, I saw you pass by this morning. We ended up only fishing for about 1 1/2 hours, but caught 10, but mainly just 3-4 pounders.

13. Lsanders

Lsanders New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Ar
    sounds like a good 1 1/2 hour of fishing it was a pleasure meating you hope to see you back here soon

14. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Yeah, we might head down next Saturday, but wouldn't be camping, just laying a whipping on the blue cats. Right now, it is a coin flip between there and Kerr. Polebenders has a tournament next Saturday on Kerr. I might be fishing it, otherwise it will be Spadra. I am hoping this cold weather will have those blues bunched up on the drops. I am ready for the big fish to show up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Round 4 went into the books today at Spadra.
    Larry, I met you heading out in your "work" car when I was about mile from the tracks heading in around 10:15.
    It actually took me about 2 hours to get shad, but I finally got them over by the old barge tower up past Cane Creek landing. I would only get about 10 per throw, but I ended up with plenty.....but small shad.
    Fished finally turned on around 2:00-3:30. I don't know how many we ended up with, but we finally caught some smaller fish (2-4 pounders) to bring home some fillets. We threw fish back up to 10+ pounds.
    All fish caught as usual on team catfish tackle.
    Larry, I tied up to the pole out in front of the farthest part of the park. We wore them out fishing east/west on the flat. Those fish were in 6 foot of water or less.
    Water temp was a balmy 40 degrees, and the rain poured on and off all day. Even saw some snow spitting, but at least it didn't shut off the blues.
    I am bringing some buddies back down next Saturday. They have been itching to get into the blues, but after then, it will be Kerr the week before Christmas.:tounge_out: Big Sam and Johnny wore out the big blues today on Kerr, so I am going to have to head over soon.
    Larry, if you get info on that Cabela's tournament on Tawakoni in February, let me know. I am wanting to fish it if you think you would have time.

16. Lsanders

Lsanders New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Ar
    Sounds like an amazing day on the water. Yes I did meet you around Spadra I was dreaming about fishing while working. But at that time I had to go answer a call. The tornament at Tawakoni is Feb 27. Cabellas has listed an unofficial schedule on BOC. The Tawakoni tornament is set for sure I believe. We are having a tournament Jan 23 at Spadra. $25.00 entry. Tell every one you no and hope that you can make it as well. I hope to get to see ya back at Spadra soon send me a PM if you head back up this way maybe we can get together and talk catfishing.

17. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    chris, sounds like you had another good day . we went out on the river down here and only ended up with 3 dinks and a 5 lbr. you say the ones you caught were 9'deep or les. dang and we were hiting 35 + deep holes.

18. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    robert,
    yes, those fish were on the south side of that pole that is between the two ramps at spadra. I normally get out of that area and run down river to some flats and my honeyhole of drops. With the temps being 36 and the rain beating down like crazy, we weren't going to make the long run, plus we didn't get to the river until about 10:30am anyway......but yeah, the south side of that pole is about 6-9 feet. Actually, by the time I would reel down and pull the rod out of the rod holder, the fish would be on top. It was real shallow, but I have been catching a lot on drops down to about 25-30 feet.
    Big Sam and I met down there a few weeks ago and caught about 60 between us in about 9 foot or less. I don't know how long they will stay shallow, especially with this cold weather we have had and will have later on this week. I prefer them on deeper drops where I can see them on my Lowrance.:wink::cool2::big_smile:
    This weekend, we'll fish the deeper holes and drops down around knoxville.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  19. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Another Spadra batter took place today. Started off right at 6:15am. We launched in the middle of the duck hunters launching. Starting temps were 27 degrees at the ramp.
    We put the red/green and white lights on and headed down to Knoxville and the honeyhole. It took a while to get shad, but after sliding around a very icy deck of the ComboCat, we got some shad.
    Fishing was slow way down there. I sure thought the deep drops would produce. They only produced tons of bites, but not many pull downs.
    We came back up around Scranton around 1:00 with only 3 blues.
    After fighting the wind and picky fish, I found the motherlode of shad on the Lowrance. We loaded the cooler and headed back to Spadra.
    Sam, after talking to you on phone, we got in the the blues (up to 10 pounds) in a big way. They bit hard and fast from about 3:30-4:45.
    We threw back fish up to 10 pounds and kept 6 small eaters.
    This will be my last trip down to Spadra for a little while. Tuesday starts my tour of Oklahoma.....Kerr, Grand and the Neosho river.:wink::tounge_out: Being a teacher has its' perks...............lots of Christmas break catfishing:big_smile::wink:
    Larry, I still want to come fish that tournament in late January, so I'll see you boys then.
    All fish today, like everyday, were caught on Team Catfish tackle.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  20. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Well, it had been about a month since we'd been to Spadra, but like the past trips, the blues were there for the taking.
    We set up camp Thursday night and got up Friday and netted some shad real quick and started the run down river. We hit some of our honeyholes and some new spots, but all of them had blues stacked in them like kids at a candy store. We caught fish off of the deep channel drops, but most fish came from about 7-10 foot of water. We ended up catching right at 40 with a bunch of 7-10 pounders. We were prefishing a tournament and didn't want to catch too many, but it was hard not to.
    On Saturday, we made our milk run of our spots and ended up with 53 blues from 2-10+ pounds.
    I did notice the blues were muddy so we put corks on most of the rods and started really wearing them out.
    Cut shad was the ticket, as was Team Catfish tackle.
    Water temp around spadra on Friday was 49, 41 on Saturday and 46 today/Sunday. We fished for an hour up on a new spot to see if it held fish. We caught 14 blues, but there were mainly 3-7 pounds....we won't mention the dink that I caught about 11 inches long.