SP101 .327 mag???

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by massa_jorge, Mar 14, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    got the new g&a in today and they had an article about an sp101 in .327. it is supposedly higher pressure than a .357 or a 9mm. what are yall's thoughts on this? i have noticed, especially latey, that the bullet makers are using smaller diameter bullets at higher speeds, and cranking out all kinds of 'new' calibers. this is basically a souped up .32 with a longer case. the argument could be made either way that too fast of a handgun round will zip through a target and not do enough damage, or, it could be loaded down and have more retained energy in the target. what do yall think?

2. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I think that the .327 would be a neat round however , i wouldnt recommend it for just any one to carry as a main line of defense or hunting . I like the ballistics of the round , much higher than the .357mag at 100 yds . In the right hands it will ruin your day . It's kinda like a truck though there is no replacement for displacement

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The Idea behind the 327 mag is that you get 9 mm power out of a revolver that is alot smaller. Would make a great CC gun. It would be easy to hide. IMHO

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That little revolver holds 6 rounds of ammo with the same power of a 9mm. My Kimber Ultra Carry is a .45 and holds 8 rounds. It's the same size in length and height as my little taurus 5 shot .38 and is thinner. The Kimber is easier to carry and so is the spare magazine, which still holds more rounds than an extra speedloader.

You can also get a tiny 9mm auto now that is even skinnier than my 45. It would be even easier and more comfortable yet.

Be careful and look an new calibers objectively. Alot of things that get invented are just re-inventions in a new package to sell what has been out-moded. If it was obsolete then, then why would it be any better now? The ballistics of the new 327 are identical to the old 32-20 that was obsolete years ago. Do comparisons before investing as it's been done to alot of calibers, for example: 450 marlin(45-70), 308 marlin(307 winchester), 260 remington (6,5x55), etc.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Yes the ballistics may be the same. Then again we could all eat vanilla ice cream from now on also.

There is no reason for alot of guns to ever be made, but what fun is that.

It was my opinion and opnion of others that I read about. Respect mine and I will respect yours.

It is what makes the world go round.

I bought a S&W 460 XVR. It really wont do anything more than a 454 casull will do. But I liked it. So I bought one. Big deal. It is a blast to shoot.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wasn't being disrespectful, just saying people should be cautious about getting something new that they might not be able to get ammo for in a couple years if it fails to grab hold of the market. There's alot of cartridges that have come and gone that were good ideas, but didn't grab the market. They're still around but hard to get ammo for or much variety of it, like the 41AE, 38 super, etc.

I agree that it's alot of fun to try new things, but some things are not new, just re-packaged in a different form. Some of those are things that didn't make it in another form. You can still have alot of fun with things that are practical. When you're talking guns for defense, which is what this round is for, then you've got to put alot more thought into it than just how fun it will be. They already make the same gun in a 357, which has more stopping power than the new round and can shoot the lighter loads for fun, and they're more plentiful and cheaper.

Plain vanilla is fine, sometimes you just gotta dress it up a bit with some toppings.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have seen different folks reply with their opinions on this thread.I saw no signs of disrespect or even thought of such until the above.Does this mean the opinions of others must meet someones approval or it is disrespectful?Am I missing something somewhere?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell since i started this particular thread i guess i can hijack it rather than start another one on a related topic... :smile2: the pics they showed were of an sp-101, but it was a heavy bbl and hada 'normal' hammer. looks more like a mini gp-100 than the sp-101's i have seen.

i was wondering more about the payload of the caliber; velocity, expansion and performance on target. i am waiting for some of the gun writer professional types that we all idolize :tounge_out: to do some on game testing, maybe if it's ever chambered in a longer barreled revolver or maybe a carbine? i personally test all my personal protection rounds out on hogs. i am most definitely not considering ever buying a handgun of this particular caliber, as i don't believe i will ever get away from carrying either my .357 mag, .45 acp, or .44 mag. they are proven rounds i don't have to wait on a review from the gunwriting masters before i can buy. i just like to b.s. about guns......

sorry to ramble guys, i have been up for 40 some odd hours and just had to check the messages before bed!

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like the idea of a small fast bullet that opens and fragments on impact. This would lead to LESS penetration but deadly HYDROLIC shock.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I always kick back awhile for a couple years to let all the bugs ferment fore I jump on a new one. It seems to me the gun industry is moved it's focus to the "keep up with the Jone's" crowd. It's got to be hard on the small gun shop to put up with all this. I do think it's interesting that S&W and Colt are really doing well with the "retro" or classic guns, re-issued in limited quantities. I think for the most part, they must of had it right the first time. I think it's the ammo manufacturers that have upgraded the whole scheme of things. The 38 special is plenty with the newer personal protection rounds available. I've always thought that no one wants to get shot, and whatever bore they are looking down is an unpleasant choice to assume.
    :smile2:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Folks,I went through the the same thing as going on now with Ruger and the 32 H&R.I had one that someone wanted me to try and buy along with a short barrel 357 mag.for about 3 months.A gun is useless without shells.I could prepay and order them by the case and wait for them to arrive as I could 10 gauge magnums at the time.OR I could sometimes find the old 32 shells that had been around for 100 years (Some looked it).The old 32's were smaller.This made them so popular with a certain crowd that they were known to the local law enforcement and most others as a "p_ _ p gun".

I think that they were and are a great little round "IF" you can find the shells.I could not find the 32 H&R's without ordering them 3 years after the gun came out.Any 32 was not readily available.You mostly found them in the Pawn shops behind all of the bars in the "Bad"part of town where the P_ _ p's were.I do believe some with law enforcement experience were trying to say so in a nice way without coming out bluntly about it on here.BUT,being that I was not in the business that found it popular,I found it expensive to shoot when I could find the shells..22's and 38's were far cheaper.Now it is and has been proven for many years to be a great and preferred hide out caliber in different forms for some folk.

That being said.I once bought a custom gun in 300 wby.and everything to reload to take Prairie Dogs to Elephant as others had.It had the widest proven range of any cartridge to the best of my knowledge.I never had a need for this gun.BUT!I got it and I loved it!This is what counts.I never felt a urge for the 32 or 357 in a short barrel.I have enjoyed many years of shooting rabbits with a old long barreled 32 off and on when my uncle visited with it.I think it was "great".It has now been illegal to hunt small game with it in Georgia for many years,yet I can hunt all small game with any size muzzle loader.Such as this is no help for this round.

I have no idea what length barrels these guns were made with as he had them "done over by a gunsmith",he said and wanted a hefty price for them.I do believe that I might would have bought both guns with a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 in. barrels at a reasonable price.I had no urge for either as they were.The 357 mag.was at it's best as a "fire ball".Neither were accurate at any distance because of the short barrels.

I do think some may have found the talk of the gun and such as "Disrespectful".I did not find it so after looking for such.I think it was someone with 32 experience expressing it.To the best of my belief,most city law enforcement officers are vary familiar with the 32 as a "Hide out" gun.This shows that a lot of folks use it for such.I would,but I do believe that I can do better and I surly would not buy any short barrel gun for anything else as it is worthless for anything but hide out or shooting snakes close range in my opinion.I found a .45/410 better for this for me.I can not speak for others.

I love to hear everyones opinion on everything.I find it very entertaining and informative.I see that some do not.Well unless you are going to be a moderator you will have to put up with many opinions we don't agree with.And yes,I think I was right every time some one disagreed with me.Some I came to agree with,some I never did.

I really do hope this round fairs better this time.I found the 32 best for hunting in a longer barrel.I am happy with my .22's,44's and 45/410 as hideout or carry guns.Would I carry one if I had it?I surly would,but I chose not to buy one for such for 41 years of carrying so far.Had I thought it was better than what I have,I would have had one.I also believe that you could find a 32 on the street corners of the bad part of town in most big cites.This says a lot for it.I believe this is what it is made for and where it would shine if it is to shine.Most have gone modern and now tote SA pistols,not revolvers.This ain't going to help it any.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think there are two distinctive types of gun owners. Those that purchase for practical purpose and those that enjoy collecting. I own guns for two reasons. 1. Hunting 2. Personal protection. I try to make an educated selection for each. I'm not a techno type of a guy. So I don't really know muzzle velocity etc. I also keep in mind ammo cost as a second consideration. I don't want a weapon that will cost me $200 every time I go to a range. I then check gel tests for diameter of expansion of defense loads. So I try to keep it simple. I think firing a pistol hundreds of times is far more important than a .40 vs .45 etc. A well placed shot is much more important than a .429 Super Gizmo cartridge. But I'm not an avid collector or gun buff. If I was I'd probably be waiting for the next new and improved anything.

I read once than 90% of all gunfights involving law enforcement officers were at less than 5yds and over 80% of shots missed. These are trained law enforcement people missing. Stress is a whole different deal.

So if you own em shot em.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read once than 90% of all gunfights involving law enforcement officers were at less than 5yds and over 80% of shots missed. These are trained law enforcement people missing. Stress is a whole different deal.
    That 80% is a national average. Some states hit ratio is alot higher because of the quality of their training. The problem with training is that if you train for the average, then you only have an average chance of surviving. The more you're prepared for the worst, then the better your chances. What I mean is that if you want to be proficient and one distance, then practice at double that distance.

In Oklahoma, the hit average is more like 85%. That is because we always had a tough training regiment and course of fire out to the 50 yard line. The state just reduced the the challenging requirements and cut the distance in half and also made the course extremely easy to pass. The results of the much diminished training requirements should start showing up pretty quickly in missed shots, injured or killed officers, and bystanders.

It seems that most agencies responsible for teaching people how to live are more interested in just showing on paper the number of officers that are passed and have no intereste in actually teaching them the skills of how to survive.

Remember, train how you'll fight, because you'll fight just like you train!