Southwestern PA. Walleye

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by PaJay-p, Aug 14, 2008.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I live in Southwestern Pa., I'm a die Hard Catfisherman but before that I was all Walleye. I fish the Mon and Yough Rivers. I think it would be great to start a local thread for alot of you guys around here do go after Walleyes when the Catfish bite is off.
    Thanks Dave

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    good idea dave i also fish for pike walleye bass etc i'm also from southwestern pa

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Neat idea...

I'm just North of you fishing the alleghany- mind If I contribute?

fishing with worms in my honey-hole the other day, thats all I could catch.

Definitely on the small side, though.

Lots of walleye and walleye fishermen up here. Catching walleye would be more welcome, except my freezer is full of them.:smile2:

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Most of my walleye fishing is on the Mon @ Pt. Marion locks, grays landing, or maxwell locks below fredericktown. I like to use bucktail jigs. Probably make the switch to walleye and sauger in November when the cat bite slows. Always wanted to try sauger for flats.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I use bucktail jigs too Jay. I tie them myself, i just make sure I get the tails off all the deer before they go to the butcher. This year I started using the shad head jig with the swimbait bodies, up to 1 oz. I actually did better with them. I even started to pick up some Muskies on the bigger ones. I still love Catfishing

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I love the shad bodies for jigs... They are pretty reliable!

I've had So much MORE luck with them than twister tails. I still think its odd. in the spring I couldn't buy a eye on a worm, now nightcrawlers are working.

Strange fish:tounge_out:! I don't think I'd suddenly start liking them, just when the only worms swimming around have uncomfortable pointy hooks in them.

Do you eat them? The mon has a polluted reputation but walleyes aren't bottom feeders! the eyez are probably some of the least polluted fish in the river.

7. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

No Jason I won't eat them out of the Mon. I just started Walleye fishing on the Mon last year. I do eat them out of the Yough and Yough Dam. Shad Bodies have also been my savior this spring. We have almost always switched to crawlers after June. Even in the boiat it's strickly worm harnesses till after Labor day. Then we go more towards vertically jigging spoons,plugs and jigs.

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I've been to the Yough, 4-5 times. I had thought it was all trout water to way thru ohiopyle and way below the rapids.
    Where do the trout end and the walleye begin. how about the Tailwaters, is there walleye in there?
    Do you fish for Trout up in the Yough? Each time I've been to the yough I was unable to bring a fishing rod; I have a dream one day to fish up there...

9. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Walleye in the Yough generally start at the Dam in South Connellsville all the way to where it enters the Mon. As far as Trout go anywhere from the Tailrace at Confluence all the way there are trout. Almost every sportsman club and the state stock it pretty well. I never caught trout in the Yough Dam just Walleyes.

10. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Jason
    you my want to go to the Youghiogheny river thread under Pennsylvania rivers. There are some guys on there that were born and raised on that river.

11. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Talked to some friends last night who fish the Yough for Walleyes. They said they're starting to pick up a few, Saugers about a foot long seem to be real active.

12. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They should be hitting good real soon. I love the winter for walleye fishing.

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they are stacking up on the deep holes now. if you can get some creek chubs they are the ticket right now. caught a 4 pounder while fishing for bait a few weeks ago on 4lb test line and a creek chub.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    trying out some new colors this year. Every year I like to try some different stuff. DSCF1201 (Small).jpg

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Caught 3 walleye @ the pt. Marion locks today all around 17 inches.
    The river is so clear never seen it like that before. We need some rain.

16. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Yea the last couple times ive been out the water has been unbelievably clear. And led the walleyes feeding in the evening but a really sluggish bite.

17. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Is anybody out there? hahaha or have you guys frozen.:smile2:

18. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Hi Damien
    W'ere still here. Not frozen yet. I got out on the Yough Thursday the river was real low and clear fished three different spots. I got two saugers and one small walleye about twelve inches. Forgot to post it.:confused2: I don't know when I'll get down on the Mon but the Yough is two minutes away. I haven't heard from Waynesburgjay whether he's fishing it or not.w'ere pretty much staying here till the river changes. Forgot to mention caught the walleye on a firetiger swimbait and the saugers on a white grub tail jig with an orange head.

19. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    Thanks. Ive just been using some fathead minnoes. Either on the bottom or put one on a small jig. And i been using a neon green mr. twister.

20. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm gonna try and get out on Sat or Sun if I don't have to work. I'll be throwing hair jigs, just like I always do. Last time out all I could get was 4 white bass.