Southwestern Pa catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by patrapper23, Jun 12, 2008.

1. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    does any one ever fish green lick lake the Yough river or dunlap lake for cat afterdark ifso what is the best bait to use

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jesse, i live only 100 yards from the yough river here in west newton. the best baits are chicken livers, or fresh cutbait, and creek chubs or large shiners, and hellgramites if you can get them. same for greenlick. good luck and catch a hog.

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Jesse Fished dunlap lake a couple of times in the day I hear their is some nice trout in there don't know about the cats.

4. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Ivr fished Green lick and the yough better Cats outta the Yough greenlick does have a few.. even the new damn has a few its just hit or miss and no flatheads.. And welcome to the BOC

5. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    thank's guy's what's the best catfish to go after for a good fight looking for the big ones i'm new to catfishing so any info whould be great and has anyone ever fished the yough near connellsville or dawson for cat's

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    those two areas have small to decent sized cats. go out at night and fish in 2-5 foot of water with chicken livers and fresh cut bait. you would be suprised the size and numbers you can pull out of the shallow water. good luck.

7. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    thank's bw69r are their any big cat's down at west newton and we did go out last night and caught 7 but nothing over 26 pound's gonna try agin tonight

8. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Well i would have to say the Flats are the big boys but the Big channels have them in Fight... ive lived in MtPleasant real close to Greenlick... my suggestion would be hit the Mon.. great for both Channels and Flats Prob about a 45 min drive... trying to think of the closest place and im drawing a blank execpt for Eliabeth witch is a great spot for Flats and channels... cought the Fish in my avatar their.

9. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    Thank's Naack i haven't fished greenlick yet so i'm still hitting the yough until i can get to the mon since you live close did you ever fish mammath damn and by the way what hook do you use for chiken liver treble ifso what size

10. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Fished mammoth for trout but thats it ... i dont use chicken liver not even for Channels... i use Cut bluegills for channels best bait IMO and usualy a 2/0 to 6/0 circle or khale works good for cut bait.

11. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    Naack thank's agin what about blood bait's and live minnows

12. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    if i didnt have gills i would buy shiners or most of the time ask bait shops for their dead ones... if i had to buy them i would just step on them so they would be juicy for them cats :wink:

13. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    SHAWN, YOU SEEM LIKE YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF WHEN IT COMES TO CATFISHING! WHERE DID YOU SAY THAT YOU CAUGHT SOME CATS IN LITTLE BOSTON? THAT IS ONLY LIKE 2 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE.

14. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I dont know about all that :big_smile: but i usualy put alot of time in on the water.. and try to get alot of info from guys that have put their time in... but as for little Boston...i walked down streem from the boat launch about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile their is a clif face and the water narrows in pretty good im guessing about 12 feet deep and i pulled a few in at the tail of the hole its just 1 heck of a walk if i cant get their in the day light havent been their since around july last year its not hard to miss cause it narrows in like an hour glass almost.

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my buddy catches bluegills for our bait out of mammoth. don't know about cats but their are some huge carp in there. i willask him about cats when i see him.

16. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    do you use fresh bluegills or cut bulegills what about minnows live or cutthank's agin

17. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Well both actualy... mostly Live but fresh cut will work at times too gotta figure out what them hawgs want !

18. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    THANKS SHAWN FOR THE POST ON LITTLE BOSTON. MAYBE I WILL HAVE TO TRY THAT SPOT SOMETIME.

19. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    you caught 7 cats last nite, one almost 26#??:crazy:

wow thats a screaming nite. and 26#, thats not too shabby, at all! Good catch
    Jason

20. patrapper23

patrapper23 New Member

State:
    PA
    thank's jason thier where six guy's fishing that night i personaly only caught 2