SouthWest Virginia Catfishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sexton, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im new to the whole forum thing, but anywho, Im from southwest va and was wondering if anyone else on here was too. Or if anyone fishes around this area. If so, any luck here lately. I began my catfishing career when I was around 6-7 and have been whisker fishin ever sense. First channels and here lately its all been about the flatheads. throw any advice my way, cuz believe me i need it. sup Fleming

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Welcome to the BOC. It is good to see another member from the SW side of VA. :big_smile: I have been doing pretty good at South Holston the past few times out. Cut blue gills seem to be the bait of choice the last couple of weeks.

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    My grandparents live in Clintwood and I would like to fish there when I visit. I only know of a couple places but I would like to find out the main areas. Clintwood may be off the fishing grid, it's way down there....
    good luck

4. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    what part of SW va are you guys in? im in clintwood. and id like to find somebody to fish with who can help me find the good cat spots around here.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fish Claytor Lake alot for cats. I catch alot of 5-15# flats and have caught them up to 31#. Also catch a good number of 10#+ channels. I live in salem.
    chip

6. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    hey sexton, Im guessing by your name you live around the wise area thats where most of the non fishing mulungeon types seem to congregate anyway.. if you can get your pontoon ( a couple 5 gallon buckets and a pallet) over near my neck of the woods sometime soon the help with the canopy on the boat I might be able to put you on a few flatheads.... (seems like Ive said this before though and didnt come through.. either way we will give it another shot this weekend.. if the wife lets ya:embarassed:
    stan:cool2:

7. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the unhelpfull advice there jarhead, but seems to me that everytime we go fishin(for the past 6 months anyway) we come home empty handed. yet anytime i go without my little marine buddy, ol' big sexton here has some fillets to fry when i get home. ME....YOU.....FLANNAGAN......MONDAY.........ITS ON SUCKA:crazy:

8. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    if you scared..just say your scared:crazy:

9. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    I can understand that but you know come to think about it when we go fishin... WE.... usually dont stop by the seafood section of walmart on the way home:wink: so I can understand the bringing home fillets portion of the post this weekend however will be differant I plan on dropping the lake level a foot in a half with the fish were going to catch............

10. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    give me a holla ill go with you, i been going by myself alot latey, i have a boat also, but been fishing from the bank mostly here lately.

11. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So, ive been talking with my little buddy here lately, and we have decided to try out south holston... anyone know some good spots on the va side.

12. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    well i fish in the soutwest to in crator lake i had some good luck on crator i post all mt catches on here do u fish crator lake any? il be going tonight around 6:eek:opm i launch at the rock house marinaprobaly will fish the stump bed on crator lake tonight i use blugills mainly and gizziard shad :big_smile:

13. afulle03

afulle03 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was doing a web search and this randomly pulled up which I guess I am pretty lucky. I live in Haysi in Dickenson County and am always looking for people to go fishing with, I love to Catfish but have not been able to go much over the past few years due to a back injury. I have never owned a boat before in my life but it has always been a desire of mine to own one. I managed to trade a pistol for a john boat and some paddles, life jacket and a couple anchors last fall. I do not have a outboard motor or trolling motor yet. I have not even taken it out on any body of water but I got it from a friend of mine so I know he has so I know it floats and doesn't have any issues... I would love to find someone who is willing to do some fishing with me. I am disabled and not working right now so I have a lot of down time and as everyone from this area knows.. Well there really isn't anything to do around here. So fishing and hunting are my main passions but I find it more exciting when you have a friend along to talk to and pass the time. I'm 30 years old and am not really looking for any particular age person to fish with so if your interested let go fishing.. Hope to rejuvenate this age old threat with a bit of life...

14. rsc1023

rsc1023 New Member

State:
    VA
    Im in Pound and have fished Flanagan and Pound lake pretty much my whole life. We went on Pound Friday night but the bite was slow. Of course just fished with crawlers and livers. It was a last min trip and didnt catch shad or gills for cut bait. Usually you can still get several channel cats. I talked to a few other people that fished Friday night and they all said the same thing that the bite was slow. My cousins wife did catch a 6 and a half pound walleye on a chicken liver friday night lol.

15. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Sexton! I live in the Radford area and fish Claytor, Smith Mountain Lake and occasionally Buggs Island. Claytor and the New River offer some good catfishing! Do you have a boat or are you a bank fisherman?

16. lockdown96

lockdown96 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im jusat starting fishing for cat's and need help i fish claytor lake . Where do you catch your's at? I can't seem to catch any lOL. Maybe we can go fishing sometime , my buddy and i go on my boat but nothing yet. Scott of Christiansburg.

17. J_Carter

J_Carter Well-Known Member

State:
    Va.
    Explain your fishing rig...bait? line size? hooks? weights?
    Explain the structure you are fishing...drops? humps? deep? shallow? rocks? stumps? tree-tops? coves? creeks?
    You after Flats or Channels?
    What baits are you using?
    What time of the day have you been fishing?
    Also get a good cast net if you don't have one, and PRACTICE THROWING...needs to have clear or green netting with a lot of weight per radius foot so it will drop fast

I've never fished claytor...BUT...if you study a map of the place and look for structure or bottom contour changes this will help you narrow your search! Do NOT overlook shallow water!! Especially this time of the year.

18. the pyromaniac

the pyromaniac New Member

State:
    VA
    If anybody is still around from this thread, I'm in Norton, but spend way too much time in Haysi... Hit me up for any and all fishing, not just whiskerfish.....

19. c-lock

c-lock New Member

Anybody fishing holston?

20. Rodpitt

Rodpitt New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hay guys.

I am richmond area, but southwest va is not to far for me to drive for some good fishing.

I love meeting new people and fishing new water. If any of you ever need a fishing partner, don't hesitate to ask.