Southwest Ohio fishing spots?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by JKWMD, Jul 31, 2007.

1. JKWMD

JKWMD New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live in Milford, Ohio, and have access to the Little Miami river. Does anyone know of any great cat holes somewhere nearby?

I'm also interested in any other cat holes in the greater Cincinnati area worth trying.

Thanks

2. rookie

rookie New Member

State:
    Mt. Healthy, Ohio
    I'm sure that few people are going to tell you were they fish. Your best bet is to drive along the river and look for pull-offs. Keep in mind that the best places are usually the hardest to get to.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I guess it depends on what size fish you are looking for, like a previous poster replied to a thread once, about a 4lb flathead in the little miami is a hawg. And he wasn't kidding. The little Miami is primarily where I get shad, big fish aren't abundant there atleast to my knowledge, I am sure there are a few, and possibly more as you get closer to the river. I have seen some huge Stripers in the little miami, but those are about the biggest fish I have seen. It is a pretty descent place to fish if you are just trying to have some fun and catch some smaller channels. I would just find a deep hole somewhere along there. Bass Island in Newtown has plenty of fishing access, but the water is pretty shallow there. There is a large trail that goes both ways so you can scout it out a pretty good distance, there is also more Little Miami river access if you down 32 past newtown and pull off next to the speedway. Hope this helps you a little, but if you are looking for a larger catch, I would try the Ohio River or GMR. Good Luck!

4. JKWMD

JKWMD New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advice. I've been fishing the Little Miami most of the summer, and have caught only two small flatheads, but I'm fishing with cut bait only. I've caught about 16 channels this summer though, averaging about 4-5 lbs., with the biggest being close to 10 lbs. This is my first year catfishing ever, and I'm learning a great deal. I'm starting to try live gills, and have had some good hits, but have yet to land any on live bait. I'm heading out tomorrow, and will be trying more live bait this time. I've done pretty well by my estimation in this small river, and the techniques I'm using have been learned mostly from this site.

Thanks for all the help