Southwest Alabama catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by FourWinds, May 28, 2007.

1. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy fellas,

I was curious about SW Alabama cats and where to find em. I have a lot of family in the Foley area and was down there last summer for a family reunion. They're considering having another reunion next summer and if they do, I plan to be there. Heck, I might be there- reunion or not!

Anyway, I got to talking to one of my uncles and while I was piggin' out on fresh Mobile bay shrimp and talking about how good they were, he got to telling me that what he really wanted was some fresh catfish. He went on to say that he never fished much at all (if any???) because he never really had the time and that of family or friends very few of them fished. Of the ones that fished it was a once every few years kinda thing, so he wouldn't know where to go or how to go about it.

But he wants to catch & eat some cats! He knows I've fished all my life, basically, (I'm 54) and I told him when I came back we'd go fishin and I'd help him with some learnin. He's going to be retiring next year, I think he said, and he wants to learn how to fish, how to catch cats and where to catch em.

So, I've done a little reading on the official Alabama website and it's been helpful. The site mentions Mobile Delta and the different fish you can catch there, but no mention of cats. (unless I overlooked it). I know there's gotta be cats there... gotta be!

How about boat rentals in that area? Surely there are some rentals. I appreciate any info, fellas.

Thanks, Dave

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    there are definitely some good cats in the delta. i cought a couple this weekend that were around 10#s a piece. but, right now the weather has been so dry that the salt water from the bay has creeped way way up the delta all the way above 65. the cats that i cought this weekend were in some of the smaller feeder creeks in the upper delta where fresh water was still comin in from the springs and stuff. neway i hope this helps.
    j.d.

4. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    yeah, it does help, thanks j.d. I appreciate it!

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    no problem man. i'll keep my ears open to find out how my buddies have been doin around here.