Southerncats, Wheeler "Trip of a Lifetime" 16 Total Cats = 615 LBS, 11/29

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Southerncats, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had a couple guys (Clayton and Matt) who came down from Iowa, they booked a trip with me last year at the end of December and we had a killer day on Nickajack catching 6 Blues that weighed 341 pounds total

Well we decided to try Wheeler this time around....I informed them that the trip last year was an exceptional day and not to expect that to happen again.....I had confidence in an area near the river channel edge in 43-46ft of water so I started out there.......we got three cats in about an hour and a half..... they were 39, 45, and 52 LBS.........already a great day in my book.......we did some drifting and even anchored up on a spot with just a few nibblers......We were vertical trolling mostly, then we got on the honey hole.....I usually stay close to the river channel and I consider 25ft shallow water fishing, but these cats were in super skinny water for me 10-18ft deep.....we caught 13 cats in this small area of shallow water with most of them being similar in size 33-39 LBS........we also got a 49 and 63 out of this area...our two dinks were 28 LBS a piece....man it was crazy, we had multiple doubles multiple times....all of these fish were extremely healthy and fat, and man did they fight......The water was so shallow I stayed off the trolling motor as much as possible, and the fish were pulling us around so much we were covering plenty of water...the 63 pounder turned the boat in a complete 360 I do believe....I think these guys might have some sore arms for a few days....one thing is for sure the catfish wore the guide out today after netting, weighing, photographing, and safely releasing all 16 cats back into the TN River our total tally was 615+ LBS.

Attached Files:

2. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here's some more pics

Attached Files:

3. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    TY for sharing your story with us!!!! Fishing trips like that never happen to me lol The pics were great, glad they were released back in the river to grow bigger.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Wow!!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy: I bet their jaws hurt from grinnin as much as their arms. Thanks for the pics an story.

5. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Job well done.....:wink:

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that is the trip of a lifetime. Congratulations and thanks for the great pictures. Must have been a happy boat :big_smile:

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally know both of those guys from Iowa,and they are both very good fishermen. I have fished with Clayton but not with Matt. I have also heard a lot of good things about you,Mike,from Clayton. The only thing that upsets me about this whole deal is I was supposed to have been the one coming with Clayton instead of Matt,but I have been under the weather and had to cancel out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it with Clayton next year.

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    That's fabulous!!! Two trips?.............Go buy a lotto ticket!!!:wink:

9. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks again mike for the great fishing trip, can not wait to see how your going to top this one next year. folks if your looking for a good guide mike`s the one. this guy is what i define a fishermen does everything in his power to put you on fish.

clayton

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dang Mike, If I didn't know ya I'd say you were full of it :wink::smile2:. That's some seriously awesome cattin' right there! Congrats to all of you on the unbelievable trip.

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Trip of a lifetime, Congrats!!! :cool2:

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Now that is one big mess of fish.Thank sfor the story and the pictures.Would love to get into something like that just once.Even though I don't think my arms would take it.Congradulations to all involved on both of those fishing trips.

13. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Talk about a fantasy fishin' trip!!! That's incredible! Thanks for the report & the photos, and congrats on a great trip.

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    WOW!!! Thats amazing congrats on the great trip and pic. That will be a hard one to top for sure.

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Now that my friend, is a hell of a day at the office....:crazy:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm speechless! Amazing!! WELL DONE!
    Bill in SC

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing a great story and great pics. Enjoyed. Definitely a trip of a lifetime.

18. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    whew!!mercy!!

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wow! :crazy: That is one great day on the water! :cool2: Great report and pics!

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats, Nice bunch of Blues ! :cool2: