Southern Kentucky Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Brad30110, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I live near Hopkinsville Ky and usually fish in TN on the Cumberland River, is there any other place within a hour that produces high numbers of bait like a steam plant, and decent fish?

2. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Have you fished Fort Campbell? There's two lakes, two stocked trout streams, and some ponds on base. You just contact the recreation office, arrange for a pass, and pay for a fishing/hunting permit. They're like $20/year or something for the permit, not too bad.

Usually have to submit to vehicle searches now and then, and follow certain limits/rules/off-limits areas, and the base won't always be open to hunters and anglers so you should call ahead, etc. But that's just another option many people overlook. Good luck!!

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have you tried Barkley Dam ? Is Clarksville on I-24 ? If so you could make the run up 24 .

4. Birdboy1

Birdboy1 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I personally like lake barkley marina off exit 65, its just a run up I-24 for you.

Run it out to the main channel from the marina and the catfishing is pretty fair... I've had days where 20-40 cats between 2 of us are the typical.

As far as bait though, cast netting the bays around the marina do ok later in the summer for shad...I still make bi-weekly runs to cumberland city steam plant for bait though, can't beat filling up a few 5 gallon buckets in a hour with the trusty castnet.

Shad pockets are personal favorite for me here.