Southern California Catfishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LOWEDOG, Feb 13, 2008.

1. LOWEDOG

LOWEDOG New Member

State:
    alabama
    Ladies, Gentlemen and Brotherhood of Fisherman,

Where are the Catfish in Southern California? I had luck in lakes you wouldn't even think about having catfish, Lake Cuyamaca, and Lake Murray. My fellow Catfisherman in Southern California, come out, come out where every you are.:cool2: I don't think people fish for Mr. Wiskers here. For example, Lake Cuyamaca located in Julien are known for their great trout fishing, however one week in July I decided to fish up there and it resulted in me catching a couple of 15 pounders and a couple of 10 pounders. At Lake Murray in La Mesa where they stock catfish I caught a couple of 8 pounders which was good for the frying pan. I know my fellow catfisherman are out there, and if you don't catfish that means more catfish for me. Most of the lakes in southern California have a large population of catfish, but no one fish for them, let me know if Im wrong.:roll_eyes:

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Seeing how your in San Diego area, give San Vicente or Otay a try. Take fresh dead mackeral, bonita or large sardines for cut bait and heavy gear.
    Blue cats in S.V. are large and willing. Blue Cats are in a number of S.D. lakes. Most of the lakes around your area are like many in So. CA. and have inaccessible shorelines due to steep terrain so be prepared to rent a boat if you don't have your own. Also be aware that they are only open on limited days. Look each lake up for operation hours.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I was stationed at El Toro back in the 90s we used to go to Irvine Lake. That place is a pay lake though and I know thats sort of a bad word around here:0a19:. You can also try Dixon lake out by Escondido. Its a rather small lake but it has a few deep spots and some decent cats in it although most of the anglers there fish for bass and trout. Cut up mackerel seems to be the bait of choice.

I hope that helps ya out...otherwise get out there on the ocean get soe halibut:wink:!!

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    when i was stationed at pendelton i fished dixon alot. they have some real nice cats. best spots are by boat. but i have cought some good ones from shore. during the summer time they allow nightfishing untill about 10:00 p.m. there used to be a pretty dedicated bunch of catters out there on the dock on those nights. cutup mack's and also chicken livers worked pretty well there. best of luck.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Thanks for the post baitckhunker..... You are right... Dixon is a great place to go to..... I was last there like..... 25 years ago... good camping and the night fishing and the boat rental idea is great..... we camped up on the top of the "rim" of the hills and got a great view of the city life below.....

they have a the world record large mouth bass in there, and the cats are not to bad as well......they are "corn fed" with stocked trout... here kitty..kitty

bayrunner ray

6. LOWEDOG

LOWEDOG New Member

State:
    alabama
    My BOC you didn't let me down, you are out there.Thanks alot for the Info, I have to check out Lake Irvine, San Vicente and Lake Dixon while Im still here on Camp Pendleton. All of my BOC did you know on Camp Pendleton, Lake Oneill have a lot of big cats. Last summer, I borrowed my buddies float tube fishing for crappie on Lake Oneill and I saw a 20 pounder being pulled out of this lake on base :crazy:. The catfish was caught on brim or sunfish. Not to many Marines fish for Catfish here and in a couple more of weeks its going to be on. Any how, I was fishing for crappies which you know you have to use pretty light line and I received a couple of devastating bites. I belieave that they were catfish. If you have ever fished Lake Oneill please pass on the info :embarassed:. Please lets also take care of our resources so that we can continue to have these great fisheries. Please take what you are going to eat and take a picture and throw the rest back.

Semper Fi :angry:

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    March 1st Rock fish open offshore also.
    Check out a trip out of Helgrens in Oceanside or just up the coast at Dana Wharf sportfishing in Dana Point.
    No better table fare to be had.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Bro,
    When I was stationed there at MAG-39 I'd head over to lake Oneil with a buddy and play with the sunfish there. Usually nailed 'em right on the corner by road going to towards the hospital. Also I have seen some cats get pulled out there. Once my buddy and I were there and the water was so clear that we were scaring the fish off just from our shadows over the water...anyhow i noticed this catfish just laying there on top of some vegetation. my buddy threw his artificial crawdad that he was using for the bass and caught the dang thing! That was first and only time I have ever seen a cat caught on an artificial lure! I never ate any fish out of there because the meat was said to be so mushy even after putting them on ice.

You could also try K-Springs(sp?) Gotta get permission from the warden first and make sure that the range there is not hot...other wise you might get a nice "boom surprise" :crazy::crazy:.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I lived in Cali for awhile. Caught some nice catfish out of Irvine lake and Castaic Lake as well. Flats and Channels.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Until i joined this site i couldnt even imagine that there were catfish in Cali. I know it seems dumb but you just dont think catfish when you think of Cali lol.

11. LOWEDOG

LOWEDOG New Member

State:
    alabama
    I will have to try K-Springs and I will make sure I do not fish when the range is hot if you know what I mean. If anyone know this one please let me know. Why dont they let you fish at night on Camp Pendleton and most of the other lakes in southern California? You cant even fish from the jetty off Del Mar beach. Is it because they dont have the man power to check for people that maybe poaching. :confused2: When I first came to Cali I thought that catfishing would be ranked second below trout, but I was wrong.

12. guppie

guppie New Member

State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have pulled a couple of 2# cats out of Irvine. I will be going on Monday with My little Bro. Will post if I catch. At least your fishin. All the time I spent in the Army, never thought of fishing, and that was in N.C.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    del mar beach is probably cause you are on a base there. maybe security. manpower is main reason no night fishing in ca i think.
    Pulgas lake on pendleton always did me good for cats. so did o'neil. good luck.
    gary

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Does anybody fish Perris or Puddingstone lakes? I am trying to fish other lakes instead of pay lakes. What are some of the other lakes in Los Angeles County?

Jaime

15. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Pyramid, Castaic, Elizabeth, Quail, Little Rock and Jackson in the north County just to name a few.
    Piru is just west of the I-5 along 126 in Ventura Co.
    Jaime, you may want to get a copy of "Recreation Lakes of California" from Recreation Sales Publishing
    P.O. Box 1028
    Aptos, Ca. 95001
    http://www.rec-lakes.com/
    It costs about $20.+S&H and has information on over 400 lakes in Ca.

16. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I live about 2 miles from Puddingstone so I have fished there a few times but have had very limited success for catfish there. Puddingstone gets stocked by DFG and it probably is only about once a month. It's not my top choice for catfishing but it is cheaper to fish.