Southeast Ohio flathead catfishing spots?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dcconrad, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i am looking for flathead spots around se ohio. not looking for the excact spots judt lakes or rivers that have them for sure.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Takes alot of patients but if your near the Muskingum river you might try Blue Gills at the Stockport damn area

3. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    patiance i have.thank you for the info.

4. voodoo_fisherman

voodoo_fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Believe it or not, I've pulled some nice flatheads out of the Hocking river!

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Where are you specifically? The Muskingum River, Wills Creek, Walhonding, Tuscarawas, Licking River, Salt Fork, Seneca, and the Ohio River are known for their Flathead populations.

Catching them.... well that there's another story.... Any live bait, or fresh cut bait hung out under a bobber or placed in front of their snaggy lair is "likely" to trigger a strike from one of these brutes.

I say likely because it is calle fishin... not catchin.

Welcome to the BOC

Shawn Dostie,
    Coshocton

6. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i am fairfield county. mostly lakes in the immediat area the hocking river is the closest river. Ohio river is about 2 hours away.

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    One of the best spots in Ohio is 30 minutes from Lancaster. Take 37/78 down thru Junction city (The Top Hat has excellent food) thru New Lex, down to Malta McConnelsville. That stretch is excellent to stellar for its catfish population.

8. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    the ohio power stripmines?

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    No, the Mighty Muskingum River.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    David you may want to give Lake Logan a shot. I believe it is fairly close to you. I know they have pulled flats up to 55lbs out of there.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they catch more bigger flats towards the lower end of the muskingum, maybe not as many fish/per night average...but, definetely better quality fish from what i know. anywhere below philo area holds some real big fish. i have a feeling my next bigun may come from that section..rollo

12. catfishduckhunter

catfishduckhunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How the heck do you guys even explore all these spots..let alone put the time in to fishem....I work for a livin...im all for new spots...but all things aside..wheres the time..I can uasually find fish..within 10 miles of my ramp..you just have to look...what fun is it to drive 2 hrs to fish 8hrs..then drive 2 hrs..home...guess if I had make my own hr job ..I could do as I please..but most of us are on here as weekend worriors..sorry...must be spawn gettin to me..lack of fish...hope it starts soon..im tired of 5 lbers..all night..lolol

13. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    I've sacrificed fishing time looking for spots, I'd rather find some new spots to try for less wet line time but have better chances for new places then over fishing my favorite holes. Given, i don't scour the river with a depth finder looking at it like that. I'll usually drive down the river and look for deeper spots or timber washed up. I make a mental note, then the next time i have a full weekend to fish, i'll try each spot for a few hours and see how it produces

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    hocking river has some nice ones in it got one 56 1/2 lbs out of it a few years back

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive been hearing theyve been catching some nice ones there

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Live here on the lake logan. There are quite a few flatheads here but unless you have the time to spot the lake then its all in a phrase called Good Luck. Fished for many years here an took a lot of patience to find the good feeding grounds. Anyone that would like to go sometime an try their luck an wants a fishing partner give me a pm an we'll get together an try to catch em