Southeast Kentucky rivers

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by fess, Mar 2, 2007.

1. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey guys, I am from southeastern ky and I need to know some decent fishing rivers close by. I saw a post yesterday about the sandy river near fishtrap lake. Im about 1 hour away from fishtrap and do all my fishing from the bank. Any info on this river would be greatly appreciated. Are there any places that a person could do some bank fishing on this river and how good is the fishing? and are there any campgrounds near by? thanks , fess.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome tothe BOC from Mo. James.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC James were glad your here. There are a lot of members that live in Kentucky so im sure youll get the answer you need!!

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I fish the big sandy a lot and do very well. Very good flathead fishin':cool2:

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the board James, You will find some help here.

Good fishing
    Danny

6. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is it the big sandy or the little sandy that runs through east ky? I have a buddy who fishes in elkhorn or somewhere. what river goes through there?

7. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just need somewhere to go often and have hopes on catching some cats. I plan several long trips per year to different places but I need somewhere I can drive to and fish and then come back home the same day and get ready for work tomorrow.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James:0a25: :0a25: to the BOC. Kentucky is a great place to be from and a good place to catch catfish.I look forward to your post.:0a23: :cross: :cross: :cross: :cross:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!
    Not sure about your area but I've fished the Big Sandy and done decent before.I like to fish in the Mighty Ohio! How far from Ashland are you? Were having a mini get together April 14 there.Click on the link in my signature.Hope to see you there!

10. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from ashland. I come through there a couple of times per year to the lucasville swap meet . That is a great flea market. I would love to fish the ohio sometime. not sure when i could make it. Maybe some of you guys can show me and my wife a good fishing hole and do some fishing with us.

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Big Sandy forms the KY-Wv border.Little Sandy drains Elliot,Carter and Greenup counties.Both have some good fishing.Little Sandy also feeds Grayson Lake
    Jake

12. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I mostly fish the part of the Big Sandy that curves thru Floyd county, west of Pike county. Several of the area lakes have good catfishin as well.

13. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys. I have always been a fisherman but have fished for whatever was biting. for the last few years catfish have been my main priority. All the info I can get is appreciated.

14. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    try the tug river in pike county it is also a good place especially 4 flatheads:smile2:

15. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Big Sandy has some quality channel cats in it. I always do my best fishing around the undercut banks or below the rapids where they feed. If you use minnows or crawlers, dont be surprised to also hook into some nice smallmouths. I have waded parts of it and banked it alot too.

16. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    hey guys, i live in VA, close to grundy, is big sandy called levisa? i been to some river there once, if some one could email me or pm me about these rivers or maybe get together and go fishing, i mosyly catfish, how good are these rivers?

17. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    The river that runs through Grundy is the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy before it runs into Fishtrap Lake. There are lots of channels in that area of the river.

18. KYMatt

KYMatt New Member

Tug River.....actually its a Fork of the Big Sandy, mostly flows through Pike/Martin County.

Also Martins Fork, is a great place to fish. I think its in Bell or Harlan Co.