Southeast Kansas Strip Pits, Neosho, and Spring Rivers

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catcaller, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Is there anybody doing any good catfishing the SEK area? I hear of an occasional nice flathead coming out of Spring river here recently...but have heard nothing about the Neosho giving up any big boys of late. The strip pits are the hot ticket right now...lots of nice channel being caught...nothing huge...but some good ones anyhow. I also hear Big Hill and Bonecreek reservoirs are giving up some nice channel as well. Any locals in here? If so...keep us posted, and I'll do the same. If we can just get past the heat and get some rain, we'll be doing better all around.

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Hey guys, just got back from the Chetopa dam on the Neosho river this evening to check on the status of the water levels, and the river is ROLLING! It has backed up into the river park again. (Its out of its banks) I talked to some of the old timers hang around there and they were saying that they got 8 more inches of rain in the past few days up north. While I was there I saw a few decent stringers of channel cats being drug out of the park using nightcrawlers. Still havent heard of any flatheads of any real size being caught recently. I have however heard of some nice blues being caught downstream in Oklahoma around the deeper water down there on spoonbill and gar eggs primarily.
    Went to the strip pits here this evening before I drove down to the river to check it out, and got 8 channel ranging from 3 lb up to 9 lb...nothing spectacular...but some good eaters nonetheless....all caught on chicken livers. Also got a few nice bass on plastic worms and buzzbaits before it started getting dark and I anchored and started catfishing. Nothing huge, but I did get a couple that weighed 4 - 5 lb apiece.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Still catching channel cats out of the pits...the river is slow action. Have been using chicken livers and more often than not am getting the ten fish limit...nothing really nice lately...lots of 2 - 5 lb fish. Good eaters. No locals in this area I gather?