Southeast Az fishing for shovel

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by shovelheadstalker, Nov 4, 2005.

1. shovelheadstalker

shovelheadstalker New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Heading to Parker and Patagonia Lake early next week. Should be getting there about 1900 hrs and stalk shovels through the night. Planning on using live bait suspended off the bottom. Any laws in place stating the use of goldfish or frogs? Gonna be a little tougher since Im fishing from the shore. Anyone fish Parker or Patagonia lately?

2. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I assume that by shovel, it's what we call flatheads. You can use any sunfish, including blue gills that you catch in Patagonia for bait and I'm sure frogs are legal if caught in lake you are fishing. Arizona has some tough laws about transporting live bait. Go to the Az Game & Fish web site to check them out. Haven't been to Patagonia for a couple of weeks so I don't know what's happening right now. Sounds like a fun trip. Have fun and good luck!!!

3. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for getting back! I get the Az fishing report e-mailed to me everyday. If your able to sign up for the e-mails check it out. People have been pulling Shovelhead 'Flathead' out of Parker as well. Have you ever been down there? Im just wondering if anyone has been there in the last week or so and know of some hot spots. Im putting together some rigs and heading down there next week.

Robb

from Arizona Game and Fish:

PARKER STRIP — Catfish are hitting earlier in the evening just after sunset. Flatheads will hit on most live bait although bluegills work well as do goldfish. Try a small worm around the docks to catch the bluegills and redears that inhabit this stretch of river, but be aware there are some monsters lurking out there waiting to be landed and set a new state record. Channel cats like their bait stinky so cut anchovies would be a good choice or try chicken livers a good standby. There have been reports of Bass hitting both top-water baits as well as spider jigs with light weights.

4. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    morning shovelheadstalker,Parker Lake is about 20+- miles SW of Sierra Vista
    the parker strip is on the Colorado River, for the River Bill Kolbe, Matt Mcpherson, riverbud55, fishes the river, just go to search and type in colorado river you will get a lot of hits, Parker Canyon Lake has fairly good fishing for channels or at least did have.
    Luck David

5. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    Its gonna be interesting. A women friend,Doberman,Yorkie and I will try Parker first by Wed or Thurs and then try Patagonia by weeks end. Ill be fishing until 0100 or 0200 hrs. Ill let ya know the results.
    That Yorkie better not be his usual pain in the ass or he'll be on that bottom rig...lol

Robb

6. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    These channel and shovels come into the shallows at night how shallow is shollow? Im thinking 10-15 feet of water..sound about right?

7. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hi Robb,
    The lake down here is called Parker Canyon Lake and has no flatheads just channels. Patagonia has the flatheads, live bluegills (any sunfish) work great. They slow down in the winter and catching the bluegills slows too. You can't use goldfish at these 2 lakes legally. I've caught smaller flatties on worms fishing for bait.....go figure. :roll_eyes:

8. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Oh yeah, forgot to say that little ol Parker Canyon Lake has the state record for inland water channel cat and bullhead cat. heheh.......:crazy:

9. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Robb:

Out here in AR, TN, KY, MO, and Ill shallow is any depth that they can swim in. I catch a lot of them in 3 to 5 feet of water.

My 2 Cents;

Gene

10. shovelheadstalker

State:
    Arizona
    I know the warm weather is great for catfishing just wondering if any of you landed any flatheads in late winter early spring? Any good place in the late winter in AZ?

thanks, Robb