southbend catfish rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by okiecop, Jan 29, 2006.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Several years back i bought a southbend catfish rod thru catfish connection. Problem is i want another one or three of them but i can't seem to find them anywhere. Now mind you i know these are not the greatest rods made but they are affordable and well built for the money. Any help you all can give would be great.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What was the model? Were those called the "Black Beauty"?

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have one of those black beauty rods and love it just can't seem to find one again. I do know they quit making it and the replacement sucks.

4. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    The one i have is called a catfish special it is white and had a yellow colored glow paint on the tip but it has worn off over the yrs. Mine is a med/hev action and a casting rod line wt is 10-30# and lure wt is 1/4 to 3 oz. Hope this helps you all out with the added info.

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Sound like the south bend 10 footer I got. Don't think it is same model but mine is the one they sell at walley world. Not a bad rod at all for the price.

David Frantz

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I just bought an Eight footer last spring with those same specs okiecop, but it was a spinning rod, not casting. I'll see if I can find another one, if so, I'll PM you with the price, and figure out shipping.

Ray

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i bought a black beauty2 last year and i like it alot it works great with circle hooks.I bought it at a local shop here where i live called bullfrog creek,im not sure if they have a web site or not but you could try looking it up on your search engine.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I also have set of there rods havent had a problem with them yet for the price i didnt think they would be worth a darn but ive put them through hell and all that ive had happen was lost one of the rubber caps that goes on the end

9. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I really like the one i have i just want to buy another one or two for back up's.

10. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    I got one at Gander Mountain last year.

It is 7ft mh action and is white with a glow paint on tip.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG New Member

State:
    PA
    Okiecop, I just bought a Southbend rod you were speaking about, a 7' casting, White with the yellow glow tip, today a Kmart here in Pittsburgh. ($22.00) Bent it at the store and did not have any breaks or cracks. I think it was a great buy.

12. Matthew Rainey

Matthew Rainey New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I got mine a year or two ago as a spinning combo at the PX at Fort Campbell. Still going strong.

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    They're not called the Catfish Special any more. They're called the Mudville Catmaster or something similar. They're not bad for the money, but not nearly as good as the older Catfish Special rods. The newer ones are much more limber in each action compared to the older models. If you can get the older ones, they are some of the best "cheap" rods I've used. My cousin still has a 7ft casting rod that he uses regularly.

14. Matthew Rainey

Matthew Rainey New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Mine is a Competition rod, white spinning combo. decent line that came with it.