South Texas- Valley

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CrawDaddy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone live in the Valley (McAllen) area?? I have been here about 2 months and have tried 3-4 different lakes and reservoirs with absolutely NO luck!!! I've tried chumming Delta Lake along with many different baits and haven't had so much as a single nibble!!!

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Never fished that far South, but have heard that Falcon can be good, though its a big lake and may be tough unless you have a boat that can handle big water. Also, Choke Canyon gets good reports for catfishing. I'd guess most people in your area are saltwater fishermen.

3. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Let me sum up the locals idea of fishing here, and this comes straight from my brother-in-law...You take a casting net and go to the canal. That's what most people call fishing here.

4. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    theres some excellent salt water fishing down there. port mansfield to south padre is excellent. lots of trout and reds. padre has some of the best shark fishing from the beach.the continental shelf runs in close to the beach so blue water is pretty common.
    good luck,
    matt

5. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matt, thanks for the post. I guess I was just born a catfisherman. I've never fished for anything and don't really have the urge to do so. Catfish is what I want!!!

6. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    crawdaddy try choke canyon, coleto creek, braunig, or calaveras. how about boca chica, should be brackish enough for cats. spent a few summers in roma and rio grand city as a teen, i was too interested in all those good looking girls to fish. catnip

7. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Catnip,

I lived in Edinburg about 11 years ago. I was lucky enough to marry one of those good-looking girls from Weslaco :)

There has to be some catfishing spots around here. There are SO many bodies of water around!!

8. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Take your rod and reel and go where the guys with the cast nets go. I have heard stories of wash tubs of 3-5 pounders taken from small canals there. Choke canyon is the best catfishing I have ever found. It is the futherest south that I have fished. Good luck!

9. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bigun. I've tried that with no success. All I get is having to listen to my brother-in-law talk trash about how I need to put away the rod and reel and help him bucket all the fish he is catching in his net!! lol
    There is a canal about 100 yds behind my house. I might just throw out a trotline with some small hooks and see what happens!!

10. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas

Crawdaddy , Delta Lake has some of the best catfish and carppie a man could want..Also lake Edinburg has a wide assortment of fish ,are you bank fishing or in a boat??
    Falcon lake is also good . I was raised in a little town north of Edinburg, graduatedmay of '66 got drafted in 1967 left home and never went back except to bury my parents..\
    I now live in the Houston area with my bride of 37 yrs, dang that's a long time..
    I can catch catfish, whits and crappie..
    what are you chumming with??
    Them boys get caught keeping catfish caught in a net could be a very expensive experience!!

11. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    gentleben, thanks for the post. I am bank fishing. I have never heard of the lake in Edinburg but I will check it out.
    Guess you haven't heard about Delta Lake. It was closed to fishing for about 8 years due to some kind of viral investation. I used to fish Delta when I lived here but those places that I fished are now all fenced in and inaccessable. Heck about half the lake has posted warning signs about trespassing now that is part of an irrigation system!!! Even now there is a consumption ban on Delta. Have no idea how long that will last!!!
    I guess I need to spend an afternoon driving around the lake and see if I can't manage to find a good spot. But, even when I lived here 11 years ago boating was not allowed on the lake. Was there boating allowed when you lived here???

12. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    oops it wasn't a viral infestation it was one of the bacterial sort :)

13. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Crawdady, i lf tthe valley i 1967 but my parents had a little place west of Hargil towards La Blanca. I visited thru the years but never had time to fish I know that many catfish were caught by the snow birds cause i saw them coming out.. they'd sneak in on little boats and catch a few on trol lines .
    Sour soem milo for chumming thme cats will come!
    if you are goin north on 281 from Edinburg the lake is west when you get to the big drainage ditch!!
    God luck..

14. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info gentleben!! I will check it out very soon.

As for the Valley, most places around here are on a consumption ban. I'm not sure if it's because of abuse or the irritation system. I would guess a combination of the two!! I sure hope they get it under control. The next time I cn't sleep ( last was up until 4am 2nd night in a row), I'll do some research and see if I can find why there are so many consumption bans in the area. Last night I spent the sleepless hours researching insomnia, thought at least it would be fitting!!

15. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    The reason for insomia is an over-active mind..It is racing and you are trying to put it out ,kind ah like an out of control fire..
    For insomia reading is the best remedy..
    Lake Houston had been on a consumption ban for years, I still ate evrything i caught out of there and I am at 255lbs and healthy so who knows..
    It could be the water in the valley it always tasted horrible to me .

16. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Reading used to be a sure-fire way of getting me to sleep. Tried that like a month ago. Ended up reading an entire 400 page book and ended up going to sleep at 9AM. lol

17. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Try some Niquil:cool2:

18. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Ok then a bottle of "mata-burros "also known as Tequilla, just don't swallow the worm it is contaminated!!

19. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Comes and goes. thankfully it seems like this spell of insomnia is finally ending!!

20. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    CrawdaddyLet us know how the trotline works out
    Good luck and hang in there
    It took me awile to figure out my area when I moved to East Texas.
    But you are going about finding info correctly.
    The BOC and all of are brothers have helped me to adapt to some changes from my old stomping grounds.
    Marc:big_smile: