South grand catfish(Missouri)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Fry Guy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I just tried the south grand a few miles up from where it flows into truman. I was just wandering if there are many big cats in there. Also I was wandering if there are very many flathead in it. From the looks of it there should be but was just wandering.

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fryguy, I had a guy tell me once that he'd caught 20's and 25's in the river above Clinton, back a few years, but I found out a week ago that he had died,so I can't ask him details. Don't see any good reason why they shouldn't still be there.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    As soon as I get a digital camera I can get some good pictures to help out but for now I guess I'll just have to explain in. where I went there's a bridge that goes over. It's not reel wide but it's probably between 10 to 25 ft deep. Just up and down river it looks like theres some decent cover in the water. No log jams or anything but it looks like a few sunken trees. Just wandering if that is sufficient cover for flathead. Sure wish I had a boat, it would make things allot easier.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    if the waters have been up down there like they have been here, u bet those stumps will be killer on those kitties lol.... kit it and find out keep us posted... but almost gaurentee they will be in the stumps b4 that deep water if there has been a lot of rain.... :) good luck

5. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't know which bridge yer talking about, but the description sounds promising. The waters still plenty cool, imo but I'll bet when it warms up you'll find'em around those logs, especially if they are near the lower end of the hole.

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Go N on 7 through Clinton up to Urich. It's just out of Urich and there is a small boat launch by the bridge. Do you fish up that way much Sinker or is it better fishing where it flows into Truman?

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to work as a carpenter for the Cons. Dept. and we did a bunch of work at that boat ramp. The locals I talked to said they caught flatheads there and under some enormous logjam near there. Never saw the logjam or the flathead. A couple of boats where there to archry-hunt gar. That's bout all I can tell you of the place as I've never got to fish there. One other thing; standing on the bank, I saw a lot (LOT) of shad and perch so the food source is there.

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm guessing I'll either have to get a boat or do some serious walking to find those logs jams huh? Do you still live up that way? If so give me a shout and well have to do some fishing.

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    FryGuy, fraid knot said he'd like to go along with us up there. I've kinda wanted to fish that spot ever since I first saw it. Soon as the weather straightens up a little we'll do'er!

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    good call just keep me posted. Maybe we can get into some flatheads even.

11. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is this the river that runs around H-ville? If so then I have heard of alot of big flats coming out of there. One guy I talked to said 60+ on cut carp and some of the others it was gills they caught theirs on. I really want to fish that river. I have a good feeling about it. I might have to take some vac to go down there and fish it.

Dave

12. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    theres some good flats in the grand a lil ways north of there

13. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The South Grand River was a good cat river even before Truman was dammed up. I fished there as a kid in the 60's with my Grandfather. Truman changed the river significantly from 10 miles west of Clinton to the dam. I haven't fished more than a mile west of highway 13 in over two decades, but I am confident there are cats up there. All the way to the Kansas state line if the water is there. It used to get really low, and the cats would be in the deeper holes. They'd come out to the shallow riffles after dark to get dinner if the riffles were deep enough. Biggest I ever saw on that stretch was 42 lbs on a trot line in one of those holes. When the water is up and running is when you need the boat. Fish move out of the holes to feed, check out other holes. River changes almost every year with the high water times. Fast water carves out new holes, moves gravel, silt and debris into old ones. Very few locations remain unchanged for many years. Good luck!

Ohh. A footnote. Weather can be nice in west central Missouri, and the river can rise several feet based on a rainstorm in Kansas. Learned that one the hard way about 1971.

14. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fry Guy, best we remember what safetybass said when we go up there. He's right! Grand and Osage both used ta go wild from Kansas thunderstorms! Spect they still can.

15. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    True, true. Can't wait for the weather to clear out so we can head up that way and get some cats. Just say the word and well go(as long as I'm off work)