South Carolina Water Levels

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by pop pop, Jan 19, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    WOW! The 2007 drought was something. We all watched in horror the effects on our great fisheries here. I hope the rains of the last several weeks is a turn around. We watched post after post of lowering of water levels and closing of ramps. I've started this thread as a monitoring device as we all recover from it. I'll start things off with Greenwood. Please respond with other reports of rising water levels. Thanks

Lake Greenwood. As of Fri. 01/18/08 Greenwood has recovered about 4 ft. of water. The 45 ramp and Tower Point Ramp that were close to closing are safe for boats of all sizes. Greenwood is now only about 2 feet away from full pond. At this time I know of no ramp closings.

2. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    great idea and good info pop pop...much appreciated!!!

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Come spring they usually bring the water up for spawning/bedding fish to maintain full reproductive conditions. SC depends on it's fishing for it's economy so maybe the gate keepers can raise us up some....lets all cross our fingers. But all in all winter is our rainy season and we have been getting rain that's actually running down the watersheds and filling us up instead of getting sucked up into the dry ground.

I think we will be looking ok by spring but I sure hope the summer doesn't drought this year again......We shall see.

-Jim-

4. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's an excellent idea pop pop. I'll definitely report back when I get a chance to go again. Maybe next weekend I hope.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I dont know the levels at Wylie,but I know they did open Buster Boyd Landing,that will make it much easier to fish the upper end of wylie,I'm sure a few of the others will prolly be opening soon,with these 2 latest storms to come through,surely the water levels will rise a considerable amount,hopefully it is helping out downstream at santee lakes also,they sure are hurting right now and for those of you that dont know,they have cancelled the Cabelas King Cat qualifier out of Blacks Camp that was scheduled for Feb. 23rd,hopefully it will be rescheduled soon

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I hope you are right, but as far as Hartwell goes: I think the people in charge could care less. Less hope they have a change of heart. I know they generate electricity, but it would be nice to see the level come back up.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Electric has alot to do with it, but for the most part they push it through for the Savannah River Basin below Clarks Hill Dam. They have to have the water, it's not all electric. As far as the water level reaching full pool by spring, I dought it. We'll have to have torrential rains. Who knows, I will say this, if you have a concern, they'll tell you right quick Hartwell wasn't built for recreational purposes. Let's just keep our lil' fingers crossed:wink:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The river has come up to around 10ft and holding steady. I hope it will hold on and stay up.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I see where the santee cooper lakes have come up ~3 inches, and the rivers coming into the lake are up some, too. Might not be long-term, but at least will help to hold them for a little while. Black River is up some also, above Andrews.

11. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For Hartwell, you can call 18888930678 to get the generation schedule and water level. The level has been hovering in that 13 feet range for some time now, but they've also been generating nearly every day now.

Keowee is about two feet down, it was down to seven feet below full pool.

Jocassee is still at 23 feet down.

Russell is in that 2 foot range, typical for Russell.

A guide I talked to on Clarks Hill last week said it was still down at least 12 to 13 feet.

12. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Waccamaw should have risen alot with all the rain on the coastal plain. Probably will takes years for the fish and other wildlife to rebound. It had been reduced to a creek. The flow was well below any other drought time readings from what I've heard. It is not a very deep river anyway, but is very swampy. Most of the sections I know have very,very little for exposed banks. Just flooded woods and swamp with the river snaking through. The river is normally black from all the tannins and on a calm day it's like floating on black mirror. Well these days the water has turned clear because it got too low to pull the coloration from the forests & swamp & creek tributaries. I hear people have been wheelin up and down the river without the water there.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    One of the guys in my fishing club has a place at Harrys and he said that they are suppose to have a new ramp put in by Feb 12th.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That'll be great, James. The one there is barely usable, due to the backwash area just beyond the ramp; really needs some dredging done. I feel for all the campground operators around the lakes. It has to be hurting them really bad, and with their income down so drastically, it must be hard to come up with the money to make major improvements; not to mention the difficulty of getting the necessary permits to make those improvements.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy I think he said they are going leave the origional landing and just put in a new landing to the left of it for deeper water access. I think he said once the permits arrive it would only take about a week to complete.

17. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well i went to the lower lake(lake moultrie) on 1/22/o8 and the water levels have not improved atkins landing,lions beach and the hatchery are not accsesible i think this is a great idea im new here at boc and i have found so much info thank you all

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    According to the water data Santee was 67.9 this am which is 7-8 inches higher than it was before the rain.Not much but every little bit helps on the road to recovery.:big_smile:

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho