South Carolina Rivers Question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishjoey, Aug 27, 2009.

1. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Hi, I'm new to South Carolina; I just moved down from Richmond where I've spent a lot of time pursuing big blues and flatheads on the James River. I was wondering which rivers near the charleston area hold big blues and/or flatheads? Any information would help...

Also I've always caught my flatheads on live bream but I've been reading posts and it seems like cut-bait is the way to go around here? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks guys!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to SC. During the winter, the Winyah Bay (lower Pee Dee and lower Waccamaw rivers) area holds some nice blues. Our first cast of '09 on Jan 2nd yielded a 51 pound blue on the lower Waccamaw. The Cooper river is bound to have many monster cats in there, but to my knowledge, no one here on the forum ever reports much positive info from the Cooper. If I lived there, I would be constantly searching the Cooper until I had it figured out. You mention rivers, but don't forget the granddaddy of all catfish lakes, the Santee-Cooper. Lakes Marion and Moultrie hold some of the finest blues and flatties in the country. Coming from the James, you are probably plenty spoiled, and you will have to work harder to consistently land comparable trophies on the SC rivers. I hope to hit the James for a few days sometime this fall. As for bait, cut and live both work well, and don't ignore the eels that folks here have such great success on. Bream, shad, herring, shiners, eels, bullheads, carp, etc. are all excellent bait choices. We caught the big blue at the bay on fresh cut mullet. You didn't mention what type of boat you had. Boat fishing sure gets you in 'em a heap better than bank fishin'.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Joey,
    Not really anyone posts on the Cooper river except myself and Keith (Lowcountry Catman) and we fish two completely areas. I never do well in the dog days of Summer or the cold of winter. The fall and spring are very productive. The river is full of fish but I haven't seen any over 40 come out of the brackish water I fish. I catch 20lbers frequently, alot between 5-10lbs. Alot of Redfish in and above the slot, stripers, and flounder, all in the same spot. It is difficult to fish the main channel do to floating debris. Give me a yell and I would be happy to take you out and show you around. If you are a Hokie fan, I might even show you a few spots.:wink:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome to SC, Joey. Our rivers won't necessarily compare to the James in numbers of monster fish, although there are some monsters to be caught here.
    The Cooper, Edisto, Santee, Pee Dee, Black, Congaree, Wateree; the list goes on. All have good catfishing. Plenty of good river fishing all over the state, really. What part of the state are you in?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    He's in the Charleston area, Tommy.

BB in SC

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Joey, Where are you in the Charleston area? I consider myself in the charleston area but I can be on the cooper in 5 min and at the lake in 15min, and my wife wondered why I wanted to live near pimlico. If you are down town charleston or south of charleston it is a whole different story. Let us know exactly and we can fill you in on ramps, etc.
    Matt

7. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Joey, the cooper river holds alot of monster fish. The biggest flathead in my picture album came from the cooper river(63 lbs) and the biggest blue from the river is 59lbs. They are there, its you just got to time the tide and your fishing just rite. Some holes are better with incoming tides and others are better with outgoing tides.!!!!!

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Most of the fish do come in spring and fall--before and after the crabs--watch the redfish size limit--it could be costly!

9. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Agree with all Wesley posts. From cypress gardens down, forget what you believe about the moon (well a little about the moon) or the sun. The pressure front means little if anything, doesn't matter if it rains or not. The tide is the key, how high and fast depends on the moon and will affect where you want to fish. I'm fishing the creeks on large tides, there is alot of debris in the main channel and plenty of flow in the creeks. I venture out on the lower tides, when the high is only about 4', and try my luck in the channel. Very careful with the reds, 500 to 1000 per fish, and there is alot out there above the slot and they are alot of fun.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm glad someone finally spoke up on a positive note about the Cooper. Rarely do you hear anything here on the forum about it. It's like a well kept secret in SC. I knew it had to contain the monsters. The James is a tidal river and we had success there. The Cooper shouldn't be much different. I'd like to get down there sometime, but Charleston is about 2 1/2 hours from here. Course the James is five hours from here. :wink:

BB in SC

11. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try tailrace canal (used to hold a world record), several 100 pounders have been caught over that last couple of years.

Cooper is good because of the brackish water... if the cats cut off then go red fishing.

Charleston is a great place to live and fish.

When I lived in charelston we fished the tailrace a lot. Some BIG cats in there.

Went fishing at my daughters house last weekend in hanahan and caught 5 bass in 15 minutes. That was fun.... SO just about any type of fish you can imagine.

Went down to charleston to go shark fishing last weekend but the hurricane had made 6 - 8 ft seas where we were putting in.

later...
    Ron

12. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    There are some monster Blue cats in the Cooper River for sure.If I had a boat I would be looking in the deep holes on the east branch and of course the west branch leading up to the tailrace.

13. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Thank you all for the advice!

I will definitely be checking out the cooper and the edisto...
    Where is the tailrace? I guess I'll google it...

I live on James Island and I'm in the process of purchasing a boat (hopefully an 18' scout cc with a yamaha 115)... Any recommendations on where to put in?

Thanks again for all the advice... I really appreciate it...

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Take you a roadtrip up to Moncks Corner on hwy 52.The Tailrace is the bridge going out of town north on 52.There is a boat landing behind the Anglers Mart,and one at Gilligans.Good bank fishing as well.

15. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This fall if you wanna get on some trout, try the Wando, put in at remley's landing (mt pleasant just ask anyone at a gas station). Head north, going under the Mark Clark bridge (the first bridge you see). When you get past the mark clark there is a creek to the left, (we call it millionairs creek cause of the HUGE houses, the guy who owns the pioneer boat company is the first house on the left) anyway its ralston creek. GO SLOW into this creek swinging to the right side of the channel going in. There is a sandbar on the left. So until you get to know it better take it slow. Once you are in the creek its fine. Plenty of bait for the cast net and lots of docks to fish.

Ok... once you are in keep going down until you get to the private landing. You'll see the dock on your left side. Anywhere from there on up for about 1/4 mile. You'll see a pretty good tidal creek on your right, where that creek is ANCHOR. Trout, some reds, but you will always catch
    trout in the fall. Live shrimp under a cajin lightning bobber, shrimp on the bottom or mud minnows.

Last fall we had one day that everytime we threw it in a trout was on.

SO if you get your boat try that spot. AND if you wanna go sheephead fishing I'll turn you on to another spot. And if you wanna go with me and my son in law shoot me a pm with your phone. We go a lot in the fall.

Later...
    Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible...." 1 Corinthians 9:19

Amen

17. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Wonderful verse...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  18. fishingfool

fishingfool New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have also caught some Blues and Flats in the Ashley river. I saw no one say anything about it. You could try in there if you are close and right near the bridge @ I-526. Hope this helps you some. Oh yeah Welcome to SC and I wish you great luck fishing here.