South Carolina Lakes

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MUDHOLE KID, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    As we all know catfishing has become a well known sport all over the U.S. I've also noticed ,and read alot of articles in some of the state hunting and fishing magazines. There's alot of articles that at times I think are just smoke. I think it's all for the publicity, and to throw people curve balls. I guess what really gets me is who writes the stories. I know we have alot of super good guides out there that fish their hearts out, then there's others who, well.$#%$#. How can a person, guide ,whoever, fish a lake 4 or 5 times and honestly sit down with a reporter and give a professional veiw of any body of water. I read these articles on Hartwell and they blow my mind. A few years ago it was unheard of to catch catch of size in Hartwell, now it's as well know as all the other catfish hotspots. I've fish alot of lakes in several different states, but if someone was to ask me to give a story on any of them, I'd have to decline because lack of water time. It would be like me giving a story to local people in Alabama about lake Wilson. Yeah I've fished it and caught big catfish, but to tell someone else what they should do is a crock. I guess it's because Hartwell is my home lake and I see weekly what goes on,and to read all the stories about this "Sleeping Giant" erks me. No I don't want the whole lake to myself,but to pump people up just to get them here is wrong. Clarks Hill is one of the best lake in S.C. for huge catfish, Greenwood is a hot little number too, alot of nice fish are being caught down there every year, NOT JUST CHANNELS either. Keowee believe it or not has catfish in it also.Don't forget Murray either. We all know Monticello has huge fish in it, but where is all the big fish stories. You read them and you may hear Greenwood, Monticello, or Keowee, but where is the big fish stories. Never here reports of 40-50-60 pounds being caught in these lake, but Hartwell always has those big heavy weights. I fish every week, and people ask me what I'm fishing for and when I say catfish, first thing they say is ,yeah I heard the were some monsters in there.
    Bottom line is the fishing pressure on Hartwell has quadrupled in the last couple years, from what I think is stories and publicity. I've not fished my regular waters but twice the whole season, due to the fact of over fishing. I've fished other arms and sections of the lake, and also started fishing other lakes alot more.There's alot of lakes around that hold really big catfish, but I've learned to be a little more reluctant to share info. I know I sound like a sore tail who someone has fished my holes, no that's not it. The point I'm making is this. People need to be careful what the read, because it is what it is, A STORY. If I ran a guide service on a lake, would it not make since to share more info on a lake I don't fish as much. It happens men so don't say it don't.
    So if you're on a hunt for big catchfish, do your homework,pay your dues and fish . If that dont work find the writer of the article you read and they can set you up with whoever gave them the info and they can put you on a monster of a life time, and tell you a good story while you wait.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Joey, I hear ya. This year is the worst by far than I've ever seen it. I can also understand you keeping a lid on what you do and catch out there. I too stopped a lot of my posting just because it was drawing to much attention, attention that is seen by more eyes than just us regulars. I'm all for putting your time in to learn, it will make you a better fishermen in the end. I cant even remember the last time I asked someone the spot where they caught their fish..... I will find my own.

3. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Joey,

That latest article gave us a laugh as well.

We've caught more and bigger fish each year on Hartwell. That being said, I don't think fishing pressure is really hurting the lake. Especially since you aren't suppose to eat any fish out of Hartwell in the first place. I would agree with you that Hartwell is gotten "overhyped" over the last several years; and it's led more and more people to the water.

I don't really think Hartwell is that great of a lake for monster catfish. We just fish it so much because it's 5 minutes away from the house. If I lived decently close to just about any other lake in the state, I doubt i'd ever come up here to fish Hartwell.

I think people see pictures on the internet or read things in articles, and get a false impression of Hartwell.

I know when we started hardcore fishing 7 years ago... it took us 10 straight trips before we finally boated our first flathead. And over the next 2 summers, we averaged 1 flathead in the boat per 8 hour trip. We the average size being 8 or 10lbs.

People don't hear those stories, they just see read the good reports and think it must be easy to go yank out monsters on a nightly basis.

We have gotten to the point now where we average 4 to 6 flatheads per trip. But we still have a few goose egg nights as well.

Another thing... we've probably boated 500 or more blues from hartwell over the last 7 or 8 years. The biggest one being 30lbs. 95 percent of those blues were under 15lbs.

I'm not sure how many flatheads we've caught; probably 300 or 400. Our biggest flathead is only 31.4lbs. We have caught quite a few between 25-30lbs.
    But still.... do these numbers sound like a top trophy fishery in the state to y'all???

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....they just see read the good reports and think it must be easy to go yank out monsters on a nightly basis....."

Good summation.

I once fell victim to that. You would read about a nice fish from one person, then about another nice fish from another person, and your mind processes that as EVERYONE is catching big fish. When you take the time to talk to individuals you find out that there are big fish in certain lakes, but they are not being caught on every cast, or every trip, or every month for that matter.

The good news is that most folks are not committed to catching big fish. If they don't get one in a trip or two they will move on.

Another good thing is that Hartwell is a huge lake, and will take a lot of fishing to put a dent in what is in the lake. There are not enough catmen around to change the population of that lake in two or three years.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Hartwell is indeed a huge lake 56,000 acres, but when you read all the stories and all the reports, they target on one arm, the Seneca River. The upper most part of it to be exact.
    Trey, I agree with you to an extent, but pressure does affect flatheads. 10 years ago catching heavy fish in numbers was somewhat normal, (fish per hole). This day and time it's not that normal, sure you may catch 4-5 small fish per hole, but the heavy fish won't come that easy. Flatheads are not like blues at all, they are homesteaders, I've proven that by tagging fish and re-catching them years later in the same hole.If you fish the same hole over and over, which happens alot, you'll catch smaller fish. If you don't find new stuff you're wasting your time tring to nail a big fish. Flatheads are spooky, you mess'em up there gone. You can catch 10-20 pound fish, because they're still looking for that spot they can call home. Trey you fished all year. How many "real" heavy fishe were caught up that way, as to a few years back.

It just takes one WANNA BE to tell a great story for everyone to read ,and get his or her name printed for eveyone to think it's easy and the place to go.

You all are right though,Hartwell is huge, spread out and use it.I promise you it's worth it.

6. FastenalFishing

FastenalFishing New Member

State:
    Boiling Springs, S.C.
    I won't tell any lies. I went to Hartwell yesterday because of some of the posts I've read here over the years. I think Hartwell is a humongous resouce that produces quality fish of several different species. But I am by no means a pro at it and really don't plan on telling people what I know unless I become successful at it regularly. But remember what this site is all about. Its about helping others learn and become better. That's why I'm here anyway.

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm glad you're here , I welcome you to learn as much as you can. The thread was started with magazine articles in mind. Stories of big fish in all the S.C. lakes,Hartwell is just one of them. It affects me more than others because I see it more. As far as post on catfish1, they are more real than what you will ever read in the state hunting and fishing articles. I don't want anyone to think this fourm is a gossip chair. I think it's a great tool for people who need to learn. The thread is about people who get asked to do an interview with a magazine writer, and tells some big elaborate story to better themself or to promote the lake for other reasons than fishing.It affects all lake, not just one. I just don't like people who think they are what they are not..

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I enjoy making post about my trips also. I, unfortunantly, don't post them all either. My phone starts rigging on Thursday afternoon with well intentioned fishermen that want to know where I been fishing. My wife said she was going to throw my phone in the lake after I got a call from someone at 12:30am one night. I don't mind helping others out but I am NOT going to give out GPS coordinates. Moultrie is a big lake and giving vague help is almost useless, so go out there and find them. That's what I do. I find the hunt for biting fish almost as fun as catching them. I want to be known as a great fisherman because I know how to go find them. It doesn't bring much joy knowing all my successful trips have come off someone elses work. To those who call, keep calling I want to share what I've learned with you. I am not going to tell you exactly where I laid the Smackdown on them! And finally, throw the big ones back! I do! That way we can all have a chance to Smack 'em on the head.:wink:

9. bone3160

bone3160 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish greenwood alot the fishing here is the same way.I talk to people who have fished Santee for years they say the same thing that all the lakes are over fished and over populated.I think that people need to to just use there heads sometimes.

10. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    I used to hunt this very special area(to me at least)just a few min. from the house.Lake H (3&20) in the back yard...it got out on a couple of the jobs i was workin about the size & # of deer Iwas bringin home...well you can guess the rest.Iwould be draggin a fat doe or a nice buck out of the woods & there would be folks hangin around my truck.some i wd recongnize some not...ifavored the walk in areas.long story short it wasn't just me,it just got out.but i did my part by openin my mouth around the wrong ears i guess....several thousand acres &people were stalkin my truck...instead of deer...:crazy: I've been told by folks,couple from this site (privately)about bein followed... on the lakes..:sad2: uninvited (or stalked if you will)thanks for letin me vent guys & gals.love this site ya'll are great...:smile2:

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    O.K. men, before this gets into a totally different subject, this is still all about unproven publicity. It's about people which are invited to share their knowledge of a body of water ,and they just don't have the knowledge. It's about writers who needs a story. It's about people who wants their five mintues of fame. It's about misconception.It's about getting a plug in to benifit yourself instead of really helping someone.

It's NOT about this fourm. It's NOT about telling on yourself (giving up that good spot) It's NOT about , not sharing helpful info. It's NOT about just one lake.

You can be the best that comes on one body of water, but that don't make you an authority on every lake you fish. So why sit and tell someone how to fish it and put on a big show. Why can't people just be honest and say,Well I'm just not that familiar with that body of water", instead of giving them a story that will mislead everybody that reads it. These articles have gotten to be as bad as the Enquirer, Star and everyother news stand drama. :wink:

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    this is a free world they an you can express them selfs in magazinepapers tv radio an the boc take out of it what you want maybe next time they will call you lol

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Funny....LOL.....HAHA:big_smile:

14. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Well after much thinking and some Man colas, I'll say my 2 cents worth.

We've all been helped one way are another along the learning path. My Grandmother, then my uncle thru age 18 in his boat. Then my own boat going at it till now with advice from old wise catfishermen in between and more recently Roundhill has taught me more about Santee than I've ever learned own my own. And I'm grateful for it all! It has made me the Catsmacker I am today.

I was told once that posting G-wood reports or any reports were wrong. It brings to much attention. But I can't worry about that. As long as Catfishing continues to grow the more people are goning fish. So I'll continue posting and helping others. Don't get me wrong, I have been burnt a few times. But thats life. I can't let a few mistakes keep me from being me.

My having been helped thru out my life, makes me want to help others and I will where I can.

I introduced Steve b to Murray cats last year. He had been sick and battling cancer. He deserved to catch loads of fish! and I was glad to help with everything I knew and he loaded the boat and had a great winter of Catfishing. {Was helping him right. YOU BET IT WAS!

Pat and I have helped a couple of 18 year olds in a jon boat that where looking to catch anything by giving them subiki rigs and telling them they were on perch. These boys were all about a sabiki rig after loading it up over and over. It was fun to watch'em.{ This was right too.}

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, There were several post as the thread is headed towards not sharing info or reluctance to post ect. I understand your point, so I'm not picking on anyone.

But you more seasoned Catfisherman can help others. I've helped many, and I sleep good at night knowing I did the right thing. So help someone if ya can. You'll be a better man for it.:wink:

15. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Joey, I tried today to find the article you are talking about. Thought it might be in the SC Sportsman or Game and Fish. But could't find anthing about Hatwell in the archives online. Can you tell me where it is? I'd like to read it.
    Pop Pop

16. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    PopPop, I'd like to thank you, and the others, that post their fishing trips.

I get on here and read about the fishing trips, and I'm not one bit interested in their honey-holes. I'm not on here to learn (even though I do - I learn a lot) I'm on here to listen to people who like to do the same things I like to do. And I like hearing about other people's trips. And about what they've learned - what they've tried, what's worked and what hasn't.

Makes it very boring when I log on and everyone's keeping their trips to themselves, worrying that someone else is gonna be fishing their waters if they post and say they had a good catch. Or whatever.

I just love reading the reports.

When I'm not posting, that means I'm not catching. If I catch anything at all worth posting, I post. And I don't care if that sends every Tom, Dick and Harry to Lake Wateree. (where I fish) I wish them the best. 'Matter of fact, I'm not gonna give them my honey holes, but I'll do my best to help anyone I can. (week before tournament time, I get a little more tight lipped. :wink:)

All rambling aside, I just wanted to say thanks to all who post.

PS - I would like to see Roundhill posting a little more. :wink:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Pop POp what you and Pat are doing is fine, I don't have problems with anyone doing what you all do. I don't have a problem with anyone posting or reading on this site. I myself have posted as much as anyone,BUT me, you or Pat as far as I know have not mislead anyone.I try and help someone new every chance I get. Pop Pop if you were as to give a story on Clarks Hill lake could you give a honest helpful story. If you could that's wonderful, but if you couldn't I would expect you to decline the offer. That is what I'm tring to get across. I wounldn't try and give some writer a story on Greenwood. I fish it, but don't know enough to tell others what they should do or look for.I just think there's alot of people getting mislead due to all the fairy tells.

As far as the stories and articles, there's one wrote just about every month in one of the state mags, you've seen them and I don't have to pick one out.

Before it's all said and done, someone on here will be offended by this post. It wasn't meant to offend anyone on here. I wish alot of time we would read all the post, not just the last page or two. This fourm is a great site, it's not about what you post on here.

18. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I like how most of the articles say "Hartwell is just full of 20lb channel cats". I've been fishing here my whole life and have never seen a 20lb channel.

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I appologize for letting them interview me about a lake I have never fished.:smile2::smile2::smile2: I have many pen names!!:eek:oooh:

Bottom line is like Roundhill said, these magazines can write whatever they want. WHY? Because it's their right! You on the other hand have the option whether or not to buy the magazine and read it. Who cares if the article is dead on or not, most just enjoy reading the stories and picking up a few pointers. Any good fisherman should know if the author is full of it after reading the article. Fishing is the same on every body of water. There are variables to take into account for each body of water such as, current, depth, feeder creeks, what type of fish are stocked there.....ect. But, fishing is the same outside of these variables. I feel confident with some minor information and a good detailed map I could write an article for a lake I have never been on based soley on my 'learned knowledge' of fish behavior and seasonal patterns. Why? Because I didn't take those thousands of articles I have read to be the absolute truth and go to the exact spot mentioned to fish. I learned a little about the lake, it's habits, what fish are plentiful there and maybe what bait is most popular. I take my knowledge that I have worked so hard to learn, and continually sharpen, so I can be a 'Smackologist' of the best kind and feared by all fushes!

Read the articles, learn all you can, but only keep what works and throw the rest in the trash. Stop doing the same things that you did on the last unsuccessful trip. Strive to be better at finding fish and learning how fish react to certain changes in climate and how they relate to structure and contour changes in their respective lakes. Remember: Always throw the big ones back, of course a Smackdown needs to be applied to the cranial region first!:wink:

20. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Joey, I think I that I understand the message that you’re trying to convey. I also understand that magazine publishers have 1 primary objective – to sell magazines! I’ve only been catfishing for 3 years, and my 1st summer I recall an article written about Wylie in which the author described locations and bait, and told a story of how one could literally catch a cooler full of channels in a short period or time. Well, hellfire, I bought that magazine, read the article several times, drug my little boat up to Wylie and caught maybe 2 fish! I did everything that the author said to do, and couldn’t understand why I did so poorly. Then I remembered that old saying “fishing lures areprimarily designed to catch fishermen”! I think that the same thing could generally apply to many fishing articles. In 3 years, I have learned a lot about catfishing: from the BOC, from fishing with members of the BOC, but also by putting countless hours on the water in all types of weather. The 1st few times I fished Greenwood I caught nada, now I do much better. Some days Pop Pop & I can catch 20-30 channels, and sometimes it takes us all day, driving all over the lake, just to catch a few. I’ve fished Monty many times, and while I know that there are monsters in there my biggest to date is just 15#. I’ve fished Hartwell many times, and mostly get hung up on the bottom- it truly is a lake that I love to hate to fish. But I know that there have to be big fish in there because there is so much bait and good structure. I also know that I will have to put my time in on that water in order to figure out where & how to catch those big fish. And you’re right: ever since I moved here 3 years ago I’ve heard stories about all the giant cats in the Seneca River part of the lake. But I know that no magazine article is going to tell me how/where to catch’em! Anymore, I look at the magazines at the store but I don’t buy them. And while there may be a few informative articles written by people who really know what they’re doing, I feel that most of them are just entertainment designed to sell magazines, as the real catfishermen are on the water taking care of business!