South Carolina cast netting laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by CaTmAnDo55, Feb 8, 2007.

1. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i heard something about castnetting for baitfish on santee you need a permit, just wondering if this is true and if it is where do you get a permit from

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thomas, the permit you're referring to is obtained from the Santee Cooper office in Moncks Corner, and allows the holder to enter the area immediately adjacent to the dams on lake moultrie and lake marion for the purpose of catching bait. No permit is needed to catch bait anywhere else on the lakes. It's just a security thing, I think.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Just wondering if any of you guys might know the laws about catching Bream with a cast net??? Ive caught them before throwing for Shad but didnt keep them cause I thought I heard that you cant usea cast net to catch them.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Here in NC Cary, you can't keep any gamefish you catch in a castnet. Brim are gamefish and you can not keep them. Same goes for crappie. Of course you can't keep a bass. The only thing I think you can keep would be a white perch, b/c they are not classified gamefish, and are good bait. You live in Charlotte, what lakes do you fish?

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thats what I thought and never kept any that were caught. I fish on Wylie mainly. Im new to the area and am trying to get to other lakes when I can. Wylie is 5 minutes away. Where do you fish?

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats right no game fish in a castnet. White perch, bluegill and yellow perch are great bait but not allowed to keep them if caught by castnet.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I didn't see perch classified as a gamefish in the reg. book here in NC. Are they a gamefish in South Carolina?

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes in South Carolina White perch and Yellow Perch are both listed as Game Fish.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The game fish for SC are listed on page 17&18 of the Rules and Regulations booklet.