South California fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Nov 26, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I would like to hear from So. Ca. fisher persons about local conditions and bites. I know someone out here is catching fish and I need to know what I'm doing wrong. I been to Casitas three times last week and got only one quick nibble on my mackerel. Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right, I don't know.

2. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California

Hey hang Brother, they should start biting before long, least that is what I am told. I am not doing any-better in Kern County.

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I hear Isabella is doing good for cats?

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Casitas is a hard lake. When people do well there is normally one fish days or a few that is in the big range and thats it. I talk to some guys who are good catfisherman as well and they have tough times mostly. Thing to do is to keep at it. Keep in mind the changing weather conditions and movement of the cats. They are in deeper water now and feed along dropoffs areas close to deep water. Rainy conditions wil bring them in shallower so that is a good time to go.

There are a few lakes that are doing better for example San Vicente but you have to be on top of the fish literally. Poway had put out some good cats as well. Isabella there is a decent bite there but in specific areas. I have not been there but I read the reports.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    My picture is of my two Casitas blues... from mackeral, I'm sure that I was using a slip sinker rig.... there is much bait in this lake... crawdads, redear, etc. Try the "dropper loop" idea and get off the bottom. I haven't been there since june 04. Try up around the bouy line, mid way...Check the WON news for reports.

bayrunner ray

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, never fished Casitas. I like to read the fish reports before I decide where I will fish. I like to fish Irvine lake. Try diffrent baits. If at all possible, use fresh mackeral. Try flylining with your bail opend or if you fish with conventional on free spool.

Jaime

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Jaime, I usually fish with an Okuma bait runner spinner loaded with 15lb line, the bait runner keeps the line from looping off the spool but turns freely enough to impart verry little drag on the line. I normally fish with a small slidding weight on my line above a swivel and 18"-24" leader unless I'm fishing in a current, then I increase the size of my slider to hold the bottom.
    That is the rig I been using for many years and it's served me well, but in new water you have to try different things until you find out what works.
    I'll give flylining a bait for cats and see how it works, I have had good results flylining anchovies for stripped bass and wouldn't think of putting a weight on the line while fishing them unless there was a noticible current.
    I guess we just get stuck in certain ways of thinking and need others to share their Ideas to move us along.