Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
been catching 2-6 lb channel cats on my diddy poles , using cut skipjack , cut bluegill , sunnys(rock bass) , and live 2 inch blue gills .

been bank fish'n and catching them on plain old worms , but tons of drum(sheephead).
catching minnows on the delta and rose hill boat ramps , and a few small crappies in the throw net .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
been catching 2-6 lb channel cats on my diddy poles , using cut skipjack , cut bluegill , sunnys(rock bass) , and live 2 inch blue gills .

been bank fish'n and catching them on plain old worms , but tons of drum(sheephead).
catching minnows on the delta and rose hill boat ramps , and a few small crappies in the throw net .
Try live 4-6" sunfish and start catching 6 to 10 lb'ers. Better yet try them on a pole with a 4-5 oz weight, it they still pull you around too much trim a 1/2" off their tails. There isn't anything like a large flathead or channel hitting a 6" sunny, none of that pecking and nibbling BS, they nail it and the fight is on ..... The big ones want a big sunfish, heck I've even caught little 2 1/2 lb Flatties on a 6" sunny and they weren't even big enough to swallow it down, sometimes they aren't even hooked by anything other that the spines on the sunfish. About the only time I use a sunfish smaller than 4" is when it's all I have left

Big bait = big fish

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not sure how the skunks look, but the english actually has enough water to put in a small boat. Gonna run it this weekend with ditty's and trots. Will keep you posted on success.
Do you ever fish the lower section of the English, I'm talking about at the confluence with the Iowa River? Seems like that should be a hot spot and the DNR catfish surveys always show a good population of flathead in that area

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for the reports! I fish the Skunk from the mouth of the Mississippi up to around Augusta. I haven't fished up there much yet this year beacause it has been flooded. Now it is dropping fast. Might try it this weekend if it steadies off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you ever fish the lower section of the English, I'm talking about at the confluence with the Iowa River? Seems like that should be a hot spot and the DNR catfish surveys always show a good population of flathead in that area
I have fished right where the English dumps into the Iowa. I broke two poles setting the hook on something big. Haven't been back since. I did here of a 62 lber being caught on ditty pole down there this last week. I mainly stay on the north part close to home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did catch 1 6 lber on the english. Was weird cuz the river was dropping like a rock. I saw stumps I'm sure I motored right over the day before. Anyway, caught him on a 4" gill. Have been catching 3 lbers pretty steadily this last week on creek chubs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yep around 5 miles south of Burlington and a mile east of Wever, Iowa.

The ramp I use is about 15 minutes from the mouth of the Skunk. I haven't fished it for flatheads much. I've fished it a few times this year but the rain has made it tough. From what I've heard, the best flatheading is between the highway 61 bridge and Augusta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.