Soups, Stews, etc.

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Gator, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    2 lb of chunked catfish
    1 large onion diced
    1 qt cut okra
    2 jalapeno peppers
    2 cups of rice
    1 16oz can stewed tomatoes
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    ½ tsp each oregano, and parsley
    Lemon pepper to taste
    1 lb shrimp
    cornbread (I like Jalapeno type best with this dish)

Combine all the ingredients except shrimp and cornbread into a slow cooker and add 2 ¼ cups of water. Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours until the okra and fish are tender, add the shrimp during the last hour of cooking. Serve with the corn bread and enjoy

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Depression Soup
    this is something my Pap made all the time when I was little, and I always loved it. Made it for my father-in-law one time, and he wouldn't eat it, said it was "depression food" and brought back too many bad memories of a poor child hood. The name has stuck since then.

Large ham bone, with alot meat still attached
    onions
    celery
    canned or fresh green beans
    potatoes
    salt and pepper

simmer ham bone in water onions and celery until fragrant, tender, and falling off the bone

remove bone from water, remove meat, cut or tear into bite size pieces, and put aside

peel and cube potatoes, prep green beans into bite size pieces if fresh, add potatoes and beans to simmering broth

if using canned beans, wait until the potatoes are done, then add beans to heat through.

return ham to soup, serve with black pepper, salt and fresh homemade bread.

(I don't add salt to the soup as it cooks, due to the saltiness of the ham)

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 cup whole milk
    1 stick butter (do not use margin)
    ¼ fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon of paprika
    a pinch of oregano
    1tsp Louisiana style seafood seasoning (powered type only don’t use a liquid or old bay, I make mine own and will be happy to share the knowledge)
    1 small finely chopped onion
    2 pounds of Crabmeat

Now is a 4 qt saucepan add everything but the crabmeat and over a low heat, heat until the butter is melted. Make sure you stir it often. Once the butter has melted add your crabmeat and let simmer about 20 minutes making sure to keep stirring. You want the onions to get tinder and soft. Serve with some fresh bread any enjoy a delightful meal.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dutch Oven Rabbit Stew

4 Tbs. butter
    1 tsp. dry rosemary; crumbled
    3 lbs. rabbit meat; cut into pieces
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups hot water
    2 tsp. seasoned salt
    4 cups dry red wine
    2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
    3 cups diced carrot
    5 cloves garlic; sliced
    6 medium potatoes; peeled and diced
    1 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 (1 lb.) bag frozen peas
    3 stalks celery (include leaves); chopped
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 medium yellow onions; chopped
    1/2 cup cold water
    1 tsp. salt

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until hot. Add butter and let melt.

In a large bowl add flour, 1 tsp. of seasoned salt and 1 tsp. of the black pepper; stir to mix. Dredge rabbit pieces in seasoned flour then add to hot oven. Brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add mushrooms and garlic; continue cooking until mushrooms soften. Add celery, onion, salt, remaining seasoned salt, remaining black pepper, bay leaf, hot water and red wine. Cover oven and bring contents to a boil.

When contents of oven come to a boil replace the bottom briquettes with 12 freshly lit briquettes and add 10 briquettes to the lid. Continue to simmer contents for 1 hour stirring regularly.

After 1 hour stir in the carrots, potatoes and peas. Replace bottom and top briquettes with freshly lit briquettes, 12 on bottom, and 10 on the lid. Continue to simmer stew for 30-45 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are fork tender.

Combine 1/3 cup all-purpose flour with 1/2 cup cold water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the stew; continue to cook and stir stew until thickened. (Contents must be at a low boil to reach maximum thickness so adjust bottom heat if necessary.)

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Tim Linder(Southdisto)

10lbs cat fillets, or belly meat.
    8lbs red potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
    1 lbs bacon/or sausage cut up fine.
    1 lbs headed and skinned shrimp(optional)
    1 fist size onion cut up real small
    2 big cans or ragu traditional spaghetti sauce

pour the sauce in a big pot, add 3/4 as much water as sauce,in a seperate fry pan cook bacon until almost burnt, remove and crush into small pieces pour into sauce, sauce should be heating up now. go ahead an put potatoes in sauce. throw shrimp in bacon grease cook a little bit (just for bacon flavor) remove and cut into little pieces place them in sauce. sautee the onions now, pour them in sauce. throw the cat meat in fry pan cook until they start to flake. place them in sauce. turn heat up to just below a boil stirring every few minutes. adding spices and stuff as you go. its done when the potatoes start falling apart easily. and the cat meat is broken down into fibers. if its to thin add a little instant mashed potatoes , if the spaghetti sauce is to acidic, add a little sugar. THIS TAKES ABOUT TWO-THREE HOURS. Once its done let stand for about twenty-thirty minutes serve enjoy. feeds two adult and a three yr old for almost a week

6. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Hoot Isabell(Hootowlc3)

Hoots Beef Stew. 12 servings
    Very good in thur-mas on those cold fishing days.
    Ingredients
    3 lbs beef stew or deer meat
    2 cans Ro*Tel "chopped tomatoes and chilies"
    3 cans beef broth
    4 beef bullion cubes
    1 tsp coarse salt
    1 tsp Cayenne pepper or as much as you can stand
    1 tsp black pepper
    3 large onions
    10 cloves minced garlic
    8 oz fresh mushrooms
    2 packs frozen vegetables or chop and add your favorite
    Instructions
    Add first 7 ingredients to a large pot. Start to simmer. Sauté onions,garlic and mushrooms. Add to pot. Cover and go fishing for about 4 hours. Add 2 packs frozen mixed vegetables or chop your favorite. Add to pot and simmer 2 more hours. Serve plain with cornbread or for our northern brothers over rice or noodles.

7. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

Oyster stew....First get some good oysters from a reliable source. Make sure you get Atlantic or Gulf Oysters as opposed to the giant watery Pacific Oysters. Put 2 pints of oysters into a large pot and cook over medium heat until the edges begin to curl. Next, add one quart of whole milk and one pint of half and half. Heat until steaming but not boiling. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Nabisco Soup and Oyster crackers as an appetizer for a seafood dinner. Keep fishing!!

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by John Toth(Tork316)

Ive got one for cat fishstew with onions
    leek& garlic
    3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
    1 cup of finely chopped onions
    1 leek, whitepart only,thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic,minced
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 medium tomatoes,peeled seeded and diced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 celery rib,finelychopped
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup dry white wine (dont drink the wine)
    1/2 pound catfish fillets,cut into bite size chunks
    1/4 pound shrimp,shelled
    1/4 pound scallops
    dried dill
    heat the butter in the bottom of a large pot.
    and saute onion,leek and garlic until soft.
    add all other ingredients except the catfish
    and the shellfish. mix well and bring to a
    boil. reduce heat and simmer, covered for
    10 minutes. add catfish, shrimp and scallops
    and cook until they turn opaque white,about
    5 minutes. garnish each bowl of stew with a
    sprinkle of dill.
    ENJOY ITS GOOD

9. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Cody Stokes(Bankfisher)

Here is a recipe to make some yourself next time you catch a mess of fish:

Also called fish fumet. Make sure the fish bones you use are from lean fish and not fatty fish (avoid salmon or trout bones, for instance).

6 pounds lean fish bones, heads, etc.
    2 tablespoons butter
    White mirepoix:
    8 ounces onions, diced
    4 ounces celery, diced
    4 ounces parsnips, diced
    4 ounces mushroom trimmings
    4 quarts cold water
    1 cup dry white wine
    Sachet d'epices:
    6-8 parsley stems, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
    1 whole clove
    The above ingredients are placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack.
    Melt the butter in the bottom of a large stockpot. Add the mirepoix, and place the bones on top. Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the pot. Sweat the mirepoix and bones over low heat for aobut 5 minutes, until the bones turn opaque and release some juices. Add the wine, bring to a simmer. Add the sachet, and water to cover.

Bring to a simmer, skim any scum that forms, and continue to simmer for 45 minutes. Strain through a china cap layered with cheesecloth. Cool the stock immediately in an ice-water bath, transfer to a container and refrigerate. Skim off any fat that rises to the top.

10. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Donald Jarman(Jonboat)

JARMAN’S FISH STEW

1 TO 2 DOZEN EGGS
    5 LBS POTATOES
    5 LBS CATFISH
    5 LBS ONIONS
    1 LB BACON
    1 MED CAN OF TOMATO PASTE
    2 MED CANS OF DICES TOMATOES
    1 TSP OREGANO
    1 TSP MARJORAM
    1 TSP ROSEMARY
    2 TLB CRUSHED RED PEPPER

CUT FISH IN 2 INCH PIECES—SLICE ONIONS—DICE POTATOES
    FRY BACON WELL DONE IN LARGE POT {I LIKE A CAST IRON WASH POT}
    AFTER FRYING BACON, LAYER ONIONS, FISH, AND POTATOES IN THE POT.
    ADD TOMATOE PASTE, DICED TOMATOES, OREGANO, MARJORAM, ROSEMARY, AND CRUSHED RED PEPPER.
    ADD WATER, ENOUGH TO COVER ALL INGREDIENTS.
    SALT AND PEPPER TOO TASTE.
    BRING TO A RAPID BOIL, AFTER COMING TO A BOIL LOWER HEAT AND SIMMER UNTIL POTATOES ARE DONE. WHEN POTATOES ARE DONE ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS ARE DONE AS WELL.
    DO NOT STIR
    AFTER FISH STEW IS DONE, CRACK EGGS ONE AT A TIME AND DROP INTO BOILING STEW. LET COOK ANOTHER THREE MINUTES AND STEW IS READY TO EAT..!!!!!

THIS WILL FEED ABOUT 20-30 HUNGRY PEOPLE……….HOPE YOU ENJOY………

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Milton Howard(Migmack)

Bank fishing stew

Just throw this all in a bowl bring a bottle of water, pot and some matches cook it up while waiting for the fish to bite

1# of catfish filet
    1 29oz can of delmonte mixed vegs
    slice of fat back or couple of tspns of bacon greese If your from up north just add it.
    small onion cut up.
    Couple of Tspns of Tony Chacheres creole seasoning(wal-mart). Add and taste thats what i do
    Cooks Fas,t taste Great not a whole lot of choping involed easy to throw together while fishin these cold winter days build a fire and boil it up right on the bank

Good for Two

12. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Dean McCoy(Buffalo)

1 large head cabbage, cut up
    1 large onion, chopped
    1clove garlic, mashed
    1 (64 oz) can chicken broth
    1 stalk celery, cut up
    1 pkg. Smoked sausage or polish
    2 cans Ro-Tel or whole tomatoes cut up or 1 of each

Add all ingredients, except sausage, in a large pot. Add water if needed, to cover cabbage. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer until cabbage is tender. When cabbage is ready, add sausage and cook about 30 minutes longer…
    This sure is good on a cold snowy night with a big pan of cornbread...

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Tony Letson(Frosty Whiskers)

This very kind elderly gentleman from South East Lake Charles La. taght me this finest of all stews. Some things have to be done before they can begin, so, lets do a crab boil, with crawdad's and really big blue crabs. I make my own crab boil mix, but you can use Zataran's or Tony's crab boil. If them brothers in La will leave the pot alone, we may have enuff for the GUMBO. C I need 3 Lbs shelled mudbug tails and 2 Lbs crab claw meat. Lets see if I remember how this goes. This is alot of food in 1 pot. Course it's a really big pot.

Oh, I gotta tell ya, this is really good stew, but its also really hot stew.

12-15 Bell peppers (all depends on thier size)
    5 really big yellow onions
    7 real healthy stalks of celery
    5 or 7 bunches of garlic ( there's a bunch of cloves in one bunch)
    bay leaves
    thyme
    cayenne powder
    black pepper
    tabasco sauce
    Filet
    Worchestershire Sauce or Bulldog Sauce
    1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
    1 Lb of plain ole bacon
    olive oil
    3 Lbs shelled mud bug tails
    2 Lbs crab claw meat
    3 Lbs popcorn shrimp ( salad shrimp)
    2 Lbs of a firm fleshed fish (big catfish works real good, or red fish)
    a whole bunch of fish or chicken stock
    really big cast iron skillet
    really big pot with a lid. you could use a brand new trash can. I use a 10 gal stew pot. Of course they make em that big. I got a 5 and a 10 gal pot
    Now, I was told, and I've never forgotten, ya gotta start out right. The Trinity starts it all. The Trinity is celery, onion, and bell pepper. fine dice 1/2 of all these that ya got.
    Dice the bacon.
    bring skillet to Temperture, thats hot enough to take the skin off your hand 2 inches above the skillet. Put the bacon in there, and stir it around with a big wooden spoon until you got a lot of grease and bacon crispy's. turn the heat down to medium to medium low. Remove the bacon but leave the grease. Be sure to not burn the grease. put your diced vegetables in the really big skillet and slowly stir them around until it all looks like a brown pile of mush. This takes some time, and you gotta do it slow so ya don't burn nothin.remove from the fire and place in a bowl. Put the skillet back on the fire. Now squeeze all the grease from the vgetables back into the skillet, and add the flour. Keep the fire at medium low cause now we gonna make the rue. Stir the flour and grease together. It should make a big ball that melts flat in the skillet and starts to bubble. If it don't melt, add some Olive oil till it does. Ya gotta watch this real close and stir it alot. The rue should be darker than peanut butter but not as dark as chocolate. And don't let it burn. If you do, you gotta start everything all over, from the vegetables forward. Why? Cause when you squeeze the grease back into the pan, it has a little bit of The Trinity in there. All good things cajun starts with The Trinity. Always! Take the skillet off the fire, and put the stew pot on it. We're doing real good, probly been cookin for only bout 3 1/2 hours by now. Put The Trinity rue and bacon bits in the pot, add enough stock to thin down the rue and make it smooth. This usually takes 3-5 cups of stock. When its smooth, I add a gallon of fish stock and a gallon of chicken stock. I let my stew base simmer for about 1 hour before doing any thing else. Add 10 or 15 bay leaves and about a cup of fresh thyme. Let simmer another 30 minutes, then add 1 TBsp of cayenne powder, 2 TBsp black pepper, 1/4 cup of tabasco sauce, 1/4 cup of worchestershire sauce. Let the stew simmer another 30 min. No, you can't just dump it all together. Why? Cause you gotta build Gumbo in layers, like if ya was making a quilt. It won't taste right if you throw it all together at once. This is where I put the filet in the first time. Put 3 tsp of filet in a mortar add water until it looks like a green egg cracked open. Using the pestel, blend this mixture until smooth. You'll know you got it right cause it'll look like droupy green slime that you kick off your shoe. Add the Filet to the pot. Filet is nothing more than sasaphras powder. Let simmer until the filet is blended with the stew. Thats usually about 30-45 minutes with a little help from the wooden spoon. Course dice the remaining vegetables and place in pot and let simmer for 30 min. It's only been 5 maybe 6 hrs and we're almost done. Cube the catfish and place in the stew, and stir the stew. Let simmer 10 minutes then add the crab meat, mudbugs, and shrimp. Allow to simmer another 30 mins then ring the bell.

Serve with rice.

Sometimes I put tomatoes in, but I never add okra. I also keep the tabasco close by with the filet.

14. Whistler

State:
    TN

This is a rich, delicious soup that is labor intensive and best suited for Holidays that have a left-over hambone in them!

1 hambone with bits and pieces of ham
    1 quart water
    1 bay leaf
    1/8 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    1 cup dried green split peas
    1/2 cup grated carrots
    1/2 cup canned tomatoes
    1 cup half and half cream

Remove as much meat from bone and save meat. Place cracked hambone in water in soup kettle. Add seasonings, peas, carrots, and tomato. Simmer covered for 2 hours. Add water as necessary. Remove bone. Stir in cream and bits of saved ham. Do not allow to boil again. Serve with......PRIDE!! Keep fishing!

15. Whistler

State:
    TN

1/2 cup butter
    12 catfish pieces
    1 3/4 cups hot water divided
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    salt/pepper

Melt butter in roasting pan. Salt the catfish and arrange so they lie flat in the pan. Add 3/4 cup hot water, place pan in oven and bake at 425 until fish are done and lightly browned. Remove from oven and continue cooking on top of stove. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Make a paste of flour and milk. Add to fish to make gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with seasoned french toast and beer. Keep fishing!

16. Whistler

State:
    TN

A delicious treat that does not have one chip of pine bark in it!!

6 slices bacon
    6 onions
    2 1/2 cups tomatoes
    3 pounds catfish filets, cut in pieces
    salt, black pepper, red pepper
    1 can tomato paste
    4 cups water
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup ketchup

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and fry onions in the grease until done. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and let boil for 5 minutes. Add water and butter and cook for 10 minutes. Add fish pieces, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and sprinkle with salt, red pepper and black pepper to taste. Boil slowly until fish is tender. Break bacon into small pieces and drop into stew. Serve with hot cornbread and cold drinks. Keep fishing!

17. Whistler

State:
    TN

This stew will cause you to "rein-in" that bronco and head for the chuckwagon! Mighty good eating!

2 tablespoon cooking oil
    2 pounds ground beef
    2 onions chopped
    2 green peppers chopped
    3 cans whole kernel corn
    3 cans red kidney beans
    3 cans tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons salt

Put oil in heavy pot. Add beef, onion and green pepper. Cook until meat is done. Drain corn, beans and tomatoes. Add liquids to meat and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly and heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Serve in big bowls with large pieces of bakery bread, sliced tomatoes, green onions and a big dill pickle. Dessert, apple dumplings with thick cream and hot coffee. Keep fishing!

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

3/4 cup Flour -- all-purpose
    14 ounces of smoked sausage -- slice 1/4” thick
    18 ounces Chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup Green pepper -- chopped
    1/2 cup Celery -- chopped
    1 cup Onion -- chopped
    2 quarts hot Water
    3 Cloves minced Garlic
    2 Bay leaves
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon Thyme
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon Hot sauce
    1/2 cup Green onion -- chopped
    4 cups cooked Rice
    1/4 cup Chicken broth
    1 teaspoon Olive oil

Place flour in a pan and bake for 15 min at 400 deg. until the color of caramel, stirring every 5 min. Brown chicken in oil. Add broth and sauté vegetables. Sprinkle in flour. Stir in water slowly. Add garlic and remaining ingredients except rice. Simmer 1 hour. Serve over rice.

Chicken and Seafood Gumbo

1 C oil
    1 C flour
    1 C chopped onion
    1 C chopped bell peppers
    1 C chopped celery
    6 quarts water or chicken broth
    1 large fryer (3-4 lbs), cut into serving pieces
    1/4 C oil
    1 lb sliced smoked sausage
    2 bay leaves
    2 lbs. deveined shrimp
    3 dozen oysters
    1/2 C chopped parsley
    1 Tbs. file (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Heat oil in a 6-8 quart pot, add flour and cook until dark brown. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery and cook until soft. Add water or chicken broth to roux, mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.

Saute chicken in 1/4 C of oil. When chicken has browned, add to broth and let simmer. Saute smoked suasage and add sausage and bay leaves to broth. When chicken is tender, add oysters, shrimp, green onions and parsley and cook 10-15 mins. (or until shrimp are cooked). Salt and pepper to taste. File may be added to pot when gumbo is cooked.

Serve gumbo over rice- file may be sprinkled by individuals.
    Serves: 12-14

Duck and Sausage Gumbo

1 C oil
    1 C flour
    1 C chopped onion
    1 C chopped bell peppers
    1 C chopped celery
    6 quarts water or chicken broth
    1 large fryer (3-4 lbs), cut into serving pieces
    1/4 C oil
    1 lb sliced smoked sausage
    2 bay leaves
    2 lbs. deveined shrimp
    3 dozen oysters
    1/2 C chopped parsley
    1 Tbs. file (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Heat oil in a 6-8 quart pot, add flour and cook until dark brown. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery and cook until soft. Add water or chicken broth to roux, mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.

Saute chicken in 1/4 C of oil. When chicken has browned, add to broth and let simmer. Saute smoked suasage and add sausage and bay leaves to broth. When chicken is tender, add oysters, shrimp, green onions and parsley and cook 10-15 mins. (or until shrimp are cooked). Salt and pepper to taste. File may be added to pot when gumbo is cooked.

Serve gumbo over rice- file may be sprinkled by individuals.
    Serves: 12-14

File' Gumbo

1/2 lb. margarine
    1 rib celery, chopped
    1 onion, finely chopped
    4 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
    1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
    4 toes garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 C flour
    1 gallon shellfish stock or water
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 lb. smoked ham, diced
    6 crabs (cleaned and quartered)
    1/2 lb. hot sausage (1/4" slices)
    1/2 lb. shrimp (peeled and deveined, heads and shells reserve for stock)
    1 Tbs. thyme
    2 Tbs. file powder
    fresh cooked rice
    salt and pepper to taste

Place margarine at bottom of a large soup pot. Add celery, onion, parsley, green pepper and garlic. Saute and then simmer for 15-20 mins. over low heat. Add flour and stir constantly for 15 more minutes. Add stock or water and bay leaves. Heat over medium flame for 20 minutes. Stir in ham, crabs, sausages and cook for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil and keep stirring to avoid sticking. When pot returns to boil, add shrimp, thyme, salt and pepper. Allow to return to the boiling point again. Remove if needed. Finally, stir in file powder and serve immediately over fresh rice.

Serves: 10-12

Simple Gumbo

1/2 lb. margarine
    1 rib celery, chopped
    1 onion, finely chopped
    4 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
    1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
    4 toes garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 C flour
    1 gallon shellfish stock or water
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 lb. smoked ham, diced
    6 crabs (cleaned and quartered)
    1/2 lb. hot sausage (1/4" slices)
    1/2 lb. shrimp (peeled and deveined, heads and shells reserve for stock)
    1 Tbs. thyme
    2 Tbs. file powder
    fresh cooked rice
    salt and pepper to taste

Place margarine at bottom of a large soup pot. Add celery, onion, parsley, green pepper and garlic. Saute and then simmer for 15-20 mins. over low heat. Add flour and stir constantly for 15 more minutes. Add stock or water and bay leaves. Heat over medium flame for 20 minutes. Stir in ham, crabs, sausages and cook for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil and keep stirring to avoid sticking. When pot returns to boil, add shrimp, thyme, salt and pepper. Allow to return to the boiling point again. Remove if needed. Finally, stir in file powder and serve immediately over fresh rice.
    Serves: 10-12

Spicy Gumbo
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup flour
    4 medium onions, chopped
    8 stalks celery, chopped
    3 cloves Garlic, minced
    4 15 oz cans chicken broth
    2 28 oz cans chopped tomatoes
    1 pound sliced okra
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon hot sauce
    5 bay leaves
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
    2 Tablespoons Creole seasoning
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 pounds shrimp, peeled
    1 quart oysters, undrained
    1 pound crab meat
    1 pound catfish fillets, cut into small cubes

In a large skillet, make a roux by combining oil and flour. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is golden brown, . Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven. Add everything else EXCEPT the seafood. Simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add oysters, crab meat, and fish to pot simmer 10 to 15 minutes. While pot is simmering, Peel and devein shrimp. Add shrimp, turn off heat, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve gumbo over hot rice and sprinkle with file if desired.

Turkey Gumbo

1 turkey carcass*
    4 cups leftover turkey meat -- or more
    1 cup oil*
    1 cup flour*
    1 large onion -- chopped or
    2 small onions -- chopped
    6 green onions with tops -- sliced
    4 small stalk celery -- or more sliced
    1 green bell pepper -- chopped
    4 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- or more chopped
    salt and pepper
    3 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne -- or more to taste OR
    1/8 teaspoon Bayou Blast or other creole seasoning
    1 package frozen sliced okra -- optional (10 oz)
    additional chicken broth -- or
    turkey broth -- if needed
    1 dash Tabasco Habanero Sauce -- or other hot sauce
    Boil carcass in 2 qts water for at least 1 hour. Pick meat from bones. Strain broth. Add chicken broth to make 3 qts liquid.

Make a roux (stovetop): Heat oil in heavy skillet, over med. heat. Remove skillet from heat and gradually add flour until well blended. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, over very low heat until rich dark brown, about 45 min.

Make a roux (Microwave):
    Combine in a deep bowl, stirring well. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 6 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Stir well. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 2-4 minutes more until roux is the color of a copper penny, stirring every 30 seconds. Do this until you come to the color you like.

Add vegetables and seasonings and continue to cook and stir 10 minutes or till vegetables are tender. Add turkey and cook and stir 5 more min. Add to broth with seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. Add some Tabasco Habanero Sauce and serve over rice.

This was tonights dinner. A great way to use up the carcass and extra turkey you have laying around. Really good. Next time I make it though I will add a couple of fresh hot peppers instead of the habanero sauce. It was great anyway.

Gumbo YA-YA
    This dish was invented by chef Paul Prudhomme at the legendary New Orleans eatery, K-Paul, in the 1970s. He says its so good, it makes you say YaYa! This is my version of this great dish.

1 chicken , cut up
    2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups celery, coarsely chopped
    2 cups green pepper, coarsely chopped
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
    1 pound andouille sausage finely, diced (or any spicy sausage such as Kielbasa)
    4 cups hot cooked rice

Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise to get a total of 10 pieces of chicken. Season with Creole seasoning. Measure flour into a large paper bag. Add chicken pieces and shake until well-coated. Remove chicken and reserve the flour.

In a large skillet, brown chicken in very hot oil, remove and set aside. Stir oil remaining in the skillet with a wire whisk to loosen any brown particles remaining in the bottom of the pan. Make a roux by whisking in 1 cup of the remaining flour and stiring constantly until the roux turns a dark brown. Remove from heat; add onions, celery and green bell pepper, stirring constantly until vegetables are tender.

Transfer roux and vegetables to a Dutch oven. Add stock to roux and vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add garlic, sausage and chicken. Continue cooking, covered, until the chicken is tender, 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
    Adjust seasonings and serve in bowls over the rice.
    Serves 10.

Lamplighter's Seafood and Sausage Gumbo
    The Lamplighter was a legendary New Orleans restaurant that closed in the 1980s, but a few of their recipes still live on. This is my version of their Seafood Gumbo.
    Lamplighter's Seafood and Sausage Gumbo

4 red bell peppers, finely chopped
    2 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    1 good handful parsley, chopped
    1 stick butter
    2 pounds andouille or other hot smoked sausage, sliced thin
    2 cups vegetable oil
    1 can peeled tomatoes
    4 bay leaves
    1 1/2 pound cut okra
    1 3/4 cups plain flour
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tablespoon creole seasoning
    1teaspoon seasoned salt
    1 teaspoon thyme
    5 quarts chicken stock
    1 pound crab meat (NOT fake crab!)
    2 pounds shrimp peeled and cleaned
    112pounds crawfish tails

Combine 1 1/2 cups oil and 1 3/4 cups flour in a heavy bottomed pan over low heat and stir constantly until the flour thickens and turns light brown. Add more flour if needed to absorb the oil and make a smooth paste. It may take 20 minutes or so, but be careful - if the flour burns you'll ruin the taste. The darker the roux, the darker the gumbo. Set aside.

Saute peppers, onions, garlic and parsley in butter. In another pan, saute sausage in 1/2 cup oil, then add to the skillet with the peppers, onions, garlic and parsley along with tomatoes and bay leaves. Let simmer. In the sausage pan, saute okra in 1/2 cup oil. Now, add everything except the shrimp and crawfish to the main pot. Simmer for about an hour.

When the vegetables and chicken are done, reduce heat, add the roux and simmer slowly to thicken to desired consistency. Tastethe gumbo, adjust the seasoning, and add the shrimp and crawfish. Turn off the heat an simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes to cook the shrimp and crawfish.

Serve over rice garnished with green onions.

Friends,
    Try one of these and I promise, your life will be changed forever...If you have any questions about any of the ingredients just let me know.

19. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

Tropical Pepper Pot

On a cold winter night when sunshine and beach sand are almost unimaginable, this spicy cauldron of flavors is sure to take the chill from your bones.

Serves 8

11/2 pounds stewing beef
    1/4 pound salt pork, diced
    1 tablespoon oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 sweet potatoes, cubed
    1 tomato, chopped
    3 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
    1 cup kale, chopped
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    8 cups water

Procedure:

In a large skillet, brown the beef and salt pork in oil over medium-high heat.

Add garlic, onion, green pepper, pepper and cook over medium-high heat for an additional 3 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and add the potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, kale, hot pepper sauce, and water.

Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Skip Nantz(Skiptomylu)

6 Skinless Chicken Breast halves (+-)
    4-5 Peeled potatoes
    2-4 Stalks Celery
    3 –5 Carrots
    1 Lg. Onion
    1 tsp. Thyme or 1 ¼ tsp. Savory
    ½ tsp. Sage
    1 tsp. Cilantro (dried)
    1 ¼ tsp. Parsley (dried)
    ½ tsp. Onion Powder
    1 tsp. Garlic Powder
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp. Dry Mustard
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Add a little Accent if you like (1/2 tsp.+- )
    ¾ Pkg. Egg Noodles
    1 Can Green Peas

In large pot boil everything except potatoes and noodles for approximate 1 hour.

Add potatoes and continue cooking till they are cooked.

Add noodles and can of drained Peas.

Note: serve hot with a little jalapeno pepper and juice to liking.

Optional: you can use chicken stock in place of water for better tasting and richer soup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.